Maxim,
EPIM Team
misterstealth
Novice

Re: Multiple calendars, doing it simply

Post by misterstealth »

Hey Max,

I would like to refresh this idea.
I am using EPIM for quite a while now and I am very content with it.
Actually I am facing the situation, that in future I will have to manage at least 3 different calenders, but they can't be all in one.

Therefore my question: Is there any chance this feature is going to be implemented? If yes - are we speaking of months or years? (I know that you probably can't give us an exact schedule :-) )
I would rather keep using EPIM in future but If you say that this not part of your agenda, unfortunately I will have to switch to another program.

Thanks for your answer!

All the best
Martin
Problems often occur due to wrong assumptions
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

misterstealth, what does "multiple calendars" mean for you exactly? What would you like to do with those calendars?
Maxim,
EPIM Team
misterstealth
Novice

Post by misterstealth »

Hi Max,

I would like to have more than one calender in one database.
Speaking of my current situation, I do have one calender for work (MS Exchange), one for private appointments (EPIM) and in future there will be a calender for a pool car which I am going to use (possible Nextcloud). Additionally it could be, that a mutal family calender (also Nextcloud) has to be implemented.

What I would like to achieve is that
- I can see all calenders as an "overlay" or side by side in my private EPIM calender like it is possible in Outlook
- None of the other calender (users) shall see my private appointments.
- Synchronisation in both directions should work

I know, that I can use EPIM with multiple calenders in different databases, but e.g. I will have to check if there is the pool car availabe and whether I have a working appointment. Right now I would have to establish 3 different databases and switch between those to check it all. This is way too complicated.

I know also, that I can synchronize right now with Nextcloud which works fine so far. But speaking of the pool car I could only synch in one direction (Nextcloud -> EPIM) to prevent all my private appointments from being synchronized with Nextcloud.

Hope this helps?

Best regards
Martin
Problems often occur due to wrong assumptions
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

misterstealth, thank you for the clarification, the idea is clear. True, EPIM does not support multiple calendars at this level. We will get there at some point, if there will be more demand for the feature.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
geistLich
Experienced

Post by geistLich »

Hi max,

could you please tell me if there are any plans about multiple calenders? I use multiple calenders (private and business) and cannot change to one calender using categories instead. All the arguments postet by the others are what I need, too.

At the moment I make an evaluation of EPIM Pro - I like the program, but it would be an exclusion criterion, if there will be no support for multiple calenders in the future. I would by a lifetime licence after evaluation, if a could use this feature like in Thunderbird.

Here a quick sample of what I tried and what went totally wrong with your program:

- added to CalDav-Servers
- made two entries: "Test Arbeit" with color blue "Geschäftlich" and "Test Privat" with color "Persönlich"
- both were created in my business calender, I have no possibility to choose a calender, neither to set an individual background color for each calender
- I checked my CalDav-Server (nextCloud - a derivat of ownCloud). There are both calender entries, but the categories are not there
- So it seems I am only able to use the last added calender when adding new entries

On my android phone I added two calenders to set them different colors. If the categories can't be assigned a color by the CalDav-protocol, then I have no other possibillity than using two different calenders to show different calender-entry-colors.

Thanks for feedback!

geistLich
moehesse
Novice

Post by moehesse »

I would also be very interested in the possibility of keeping several calendars in one program. I'm used that in my Android calendar. And as far as I have looked, all important Android alendar-programs have this possibility.

With this possibility different Google calendars could be synchronized better, without having to use the categories. Also the calendars in the family could be better overlooked - or evenly like with @geistLich a private and a business calendar led separately

I would be for it!
Justs

Post by Justs »

Any updates on this? Lack of support for multiple accounts (calendars and tasks) is the only thing that has prevented me from fully adopting EPIM the past several years. I check back from time to time and disappointed to see this feature still not available. If I cannot manage both my personal and professional lives I don't see the product as "essential" or useful.
ecsaltz
Guru

Post by ecsaltz »

Justs wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:10 pm Any updates on this? Lack of support for multiple accounts (calendars and tasks) is the only thing that has prevented me from fully adopting EPIM the past several years. I check back from time to time and disappointed to see this feature still not available. If I cannot manage both my personal and professional lives I don't see the product as "essential" or useful.
Many years ago, before using EPIM, I used a PIM called ECCO that I believed allowed multiple calendars and the ability to combine them. As has been said, have a separate personal and a business calendar would be invaluable, among other combinations of user created calendars.

A possible interim solution is to assign all calendar entries categories. Let say, the assignments of certain categories are unique to either a personal or a business use (each use is related to a "calendar"). Then, there would be a new ability in EPIM to assign groups of categories to "sets" that could be named, such as "personal" or "business". Then, set "personal" or set "business" could be individually turned off or on (by filtering). Turn off all filtering and all sets (combined calendars) are shown. Now, any entry without a category would appear on all "calendars" until it is assigned a category.

I know that EPIM has an individual category filter capability. However, it is too tedious to select individually the categories for the "personal" or the "business" calendar each time the calendar is changed. It is also too tedious to remember as well. Being able to create a set of categories to turn off or on goes a long way to solving the multiple calendar problem. Plus, IMHO, the software programming to do this should be using features already existing in EPIM and only requiring the creation of the "sets" feature for categories.

What does everybody think?
PC Desktop: Window 11 Pro, 34 inch 4K monitor.
Cell phone: Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, Android 12 - linked with Garmin Fenix 6 Pro wrist watch and Fitbit Sense wrist watch.
Chris17
Novice

Post by Chris17 »

I´ve got EPIM Pro new and would like ty synchronize mutiple calenders: private, work and perhaps some web-calenders. The suggestion of ecsaltz is the second best solution to work with multiple calenders. But it doesnt solve the folloing points:
1. No possibility to subscribe to a group-calendar by using caldav, or to another calendar with public appointments
2. EPIM for Android does'nt share Appointments with Android-staff-Calendar, if You won´t use Google Calendar. And it doesn`t offer some alarmtones which are able to wake ou in the morning to. As a result it is impossible to use only EPIM as one calendar for all... What a pity, because EPIM allows to link between all EPIM-Elements and it would be great to use this feature in ones one and only calendar.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

And it doesn`t offer some alarmtones which are able to wake ou in the morning to
You can set any alarm tone available on your device as a reminder sound.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Chris17
Novice

Post by Chris17 »

Thank Yo admin, this is right, and in the meantime I learned to put any tone as *.ogg or *.mp3 in the directory "Interner Speicher\Notifications" (Intern memory?).
In the morning, it would be nice if the tone will be getting louder step by step, because other people in the house who still are sleeping should not be waked up.
One can take any tone and edit it/ combine it getting louder by each repetition by a tool like audacity and put it in this directory.
amijo
Novice

Post by amijo »

I definitely also support the suggestion to implement the multiple calendars.

IMHO, it would not be too difficult from the point of view of the main application: you may use the same functionality just renaming the "Category" to "Calendar" (so that different categories represent different calendars) and incorporating an additional field in the database to store the URL for the relevant calendar to which the calendar entry belongs (i.e.: calendar entry "X", which currently belongs to category "Y", should in the future belong to calendar "Y" and be associated with URL "http:\\bla.bla")

Now, the main change comes in the sync portion: you should be able to sync with all the calendars defined in a given account (for instance, in a Google account or an Exchange account) and also with any individual calendar (again, those present in a Google calendar, or those in a CalDAV server). As of now, I believe that you are currently supporting the first option -syncing all calendars- but syncing with just one of the calendars there (the 'Default' one???) whereas it should sync with the corresponding calendars defined in EPIM (for instance, calendar "Y" in EPIM should sync with corresponding "Y" calendar in Google or Exchange; ideal would be that the user could define the correspondence between both lists of calendars). Regarding the sync of a single calendar, you are supporting it for CalDAV, but not for Google calendars.

Of course, I do not know enough of EPIM implementation to judge all the changes that you should make. Please take my opinion above just as an attempt to clarify things from an user point of view.

Thanks in advance.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Something like that is in the plans and will eventually be implemented. Thanks!
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
VolkerM
Experienced

Post by VolkerM »

Hello,

I'd like to bring up this suggestion again. I don't think that I need to have to describe the advantages again this would have for professional users in details.
Are there plans to implement this feature in the near future?

Regards,
Volker