"EPIMs of the Net"

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Jasper
Experienced

TrueCrypt 6.0a released

Post by Jasper »

Just came across this info on another forum Max, and thought you might not yet know of this TrueCrypt update, as I remember you said you used it.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Thanks!
Maxim,
EPIM Team
Jasper
Experienced

Post by Jasper »

I just want to add an observation about "Faststone Capture", as mentioned previously in this thread, (and to demonstrate what it can do).

For smaller oversize screenshots you can use it on Firefox and Opera web pages but it is definitely optimized for Internet Explorer.

I just tried to use it to take a screenshot of the GoodSync web manual which is about 17 A4 size pages in length using a normal Windows screenshot facility. - (It's a BIG screenshot)
With both Opera and Firefox, even using the longest auto-scroll interval of 5000ms it still produced the odd scrunched up line on the saved image.
However, using Internet Explorer on the same page on MINIMUM setting it flashed through the scrolling copy and produced a perfect single image copy of the whole web page in no time flat. (One single PNG image of approx 1.4MB)
Saving it as a PNG or GIF seems to provide the best blend of quality and file size.

I also found with IE that it would scroll sideways as well as lengthways to copy a wider web page.

If the copy is too big to open in Windows Photo Gallery (I'm using Vista Home Premium) then try the free 'FSViewer' (also from FastStone) in full screen, or open it in a browser.

EDIT

FS Capture does, of course, work on anything on your screen, or selected sections - not just web pages.
Last edited by Jasper on Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jasper
Experienced

Scanning images larger than your scanner platen.

Post by Jasper »

And ....

Whilst I'm talking about images I might as well mention how I make copies of things that are longer (or wider) than my scanner platen just using the Windows 'Paint' program rather than buying Photoshop or whatever and using layers. (And I'm not talking 'Artists Workshop' type stuff, - just simple documents)

You'll obviously have to scan it in 2 or more sections, and you DO want some overlap. Also keep all scans in the same proportions.

Open your first scanned copy in 'Paint' and then go to Image > Attributes and extend the length or width of the working space to what you want. (I don't know what the limit is because the copy I made of the GoodSync web page above (using 'FastStone Capture') ran to over 22000 pixels in length (233 inches or 591cm) when I opened it in 'Paint' to check.) - Sounds incredible but that's what 'Paint' says, I swear.
When you add space to the length, it goes on the bottom and when you add width it goes on the right hand side of the working space.

Copy and paste the second half or section of your scan onto the first scan (still in 'Paint') and drag it downwards till it blends properly with the bottom part of the first image.
Continue with other sections as necessary and then save the whole thing as a new file.

If you have excess space when your image is finished you can either trim it down using Image > Attributes again or select what you want with the mouse and copy it into a new 'Paint' file.

Please don't shout at me if this seems like a very schoolboyish solution (or if it's 'old hat' to you). I just figured it out for myself when I was trying to make a copy of a very old (and long) birth certificate, and didn't want to spend money on a program I wouldn't use for anything else. I Googled for info but only found mention of Photoshop methods so tried to do it myself. Also there's not really much info in the 'Paint' HELP file.

If there's an easier and zero cost method around I'd certainly be interested in knowing about it.
:)
Last edited by Jasper on Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jasper
Experienced

Retrieve Lost Documents in Windows Vista (Home)

Post by Jasper »

This is a tip I came across in 'Vista News' about ShadowExplorer.

Looks very useful if you just want to retrieve an old (lost/deleted/original) copy of something without doing a full restore.
Last edited by Jasper on Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jasper
Experienced

Keep safe (and FREE!)

Post by Jasper »

I was looking for updates to the excellent free Comodo firewall and found that they had a new (to me) Registry Cleaner (see link at bottom) in both fixed and USB versions.

I downloaded and ran the cleaner on my Vista Home Premium and WinXP laptops and in both cases it found over 600 fixable registry errors. I made backups of all my files, crossed my fingers, gave it the go-ahead, and after automatically creating a System Restore Point it cleaned the 600+ items.

The computers restarted cleanly (and quicker I think) and to date have run without problem and it seems to me, with lower CPU and memory useage than previously.

One caveat - If you use it DON'T jump straight in after the scan and tick EVERYTHING it offers for removal.
The section of findings marked "Unsafe Entries" means "Might be unsafe to remove" and DOES NOT MEAN "Unsafe to leave on machine!"
You should leave that section unticked unless you're absolutely sure of what you're doing.

Maybe there's something for you too in this Comodo collection of free security applications?
Why not have a look - they seem to be developing quite a good name for themselves.

And NO, I have no connection at all, apart from being a Comodo free product user.

Regards,

EDIT

p.s. TrueCrypt 6.1a is out.
Jasper
Experienced

ERUNT Registry Backup and Restore (Free)

Post by Jasper »

Read these User Reviews from SnapFiles and FileForum.

Impressed eh?

Now get the ERUNT program! (Other languages at bottom of page!)

Also there's a nice "How To" on this page

If you're on Vista pay attention to the bit about running it as an Administrator!

I've attached the "Readme" text from inside the program so that you can read the programmer's reasoning as to why it's better than "System Restore" as well.

p.s. I forgot to mention that there's a nice Registry compactor (NTREGOPT) included with the program as well!
Attachments
README.TXT
(30.4 KiB) Downloaded 774 times
Last edited by Jasper on Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jasper
Experienced

Hidden Dictionary/Thesaurus in MS Works

Post by Jasper »

I have Office XP so don't use 'Works', but whilst rooting about in the Vista undergrowth on my machine I came across this convenient little Dictionary/Thesaurus.
(So when I say "Hidden", I mean hidden from me.)

It's at: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WksDict.exe"

If you have it (and like it) you can make a shortcut and drag it into your Start Menu for easy access, (or Right-click and "Pin to Start Menu").

It's also under 'Programs' of course in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\MSWorks.exe"
Last edited by Jasper on Fri May 22, 2009 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jasper
Experienced

Re: "EPIMs of the Net"

Post by Jasper »

The latest version of FastStone Capture (6.3) also enables you to capture screenshots of video as well! (in WMV)
Jasper
Experienced

Post by Jasper »

The "List of Lists" was updated on 2009-01-20.
Jasper
Experienced

Join the anti-hanging lobby!

Post by Jasper »

Does your computer sometimes slow right down, stutter, stammer or just stop and 'hang' while one process hogs all the CPU?

Try the new(ish) and free 'Process Lasso' which keeps an eye on your running processes, and if one or more of them threaten to gobble up all the available RAM it will do a 'Homer' and choke the thing back to a respectable level so that your computer can still function.

It keeps a log, so that even if your computer is stopping entirely it should allow you to see WHICH process may be causing the problem in order for you to do something about it.

You can also exclude items like your firewall or antivirus so that they NEVER get choked.

Current languages are: English, Chinese (simplified & traditional), Dutch, Portuguese/Brazilian and Serbian. A bit of a mix but probably more to follow if it becomes popular.

As I say. it's free (for home use) and might be worth a look.

I'm currently using the 3.59.6 beta version which seems to work fine on my 32bit Vista. - Just noticed there's a newer beta so I'm off to try that!
MuseOfLife

Post by MuseOfLife »

Yesterday I have converted my ACAD document into PDF with this Free PDF Printer.
Jasper
Experienced

Sandboxie update

Post by Jasper »

For the security-conscious (and those who tend to visit dodgy websites), Sandboxie has just produced an update (3.44) which, (amongst other things), reintroduces support for 64-bit Windows.

http://www.sandboxie.com/

EDIT

Forgot to mention that it's free.
taf
Novice

Post by taf »

Hi everyone, :D

most of the programs tagged in previous pages (a lot of open source and also some freeware) are also portable or "made portable" to use them from a USB flash drive.
A neat and complete collection can be reached on winPenPack project.
Home page in english
Now the site is more complete also in English language (the project is developed by an Italian team)

I wish this will be a nice link.

See U
ByE bYe By Taf®
WinPenPack Team Member - FREE USB SW
http://www.winpenpack.com
nikkho

Post by nikkho »

I can suggest as a complement my optimized builds of the SumatraPDF opensource PDF viewer.
They included x86, SSE, SSE2 and x64 optimized builds, which make it even faster, while still compact (less than 2 MB).
Find them at SumatraPDFOpt.