Email in Android App

Discussion of EssentialPIM for Android and synchronization
edqualls

Email in Android App

Post by edqualls »

I'm new to EssentilalPIM but curious why there is no email functionality in the Android App? Is there plans for this? Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Re: Email in Android App

Post by admin »

Welcome! There's plans although implementation will take up some time.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Alfhw
Guru

Post by Alfhw »

E-mail app in Android which could sync with Epim Desktop would be great! Thanks! :)
bobmac1547
Guru

Post by bobmac1547 »

I agree!!!!
I measure a good day by how little I fell behind.

Quick! Hire a teenager while they still know everything!
a8907433
Guru

Post by a8907433 »

Email for Android - that would be great!
norsea
Guru

Post by norsea »

I'm wondering what the definition of "some time" is given it has been a year since the original post???

Curiously yours,

Jim, who would really like to see this ASAP....
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We cannot provide you with an ETA at the moment, unfortunately. Will post here once we're sure about the time frame. Thanks.
bobmac1547
Guru

Post by bobmac1547 »

Just another reason why I abandoned this product and went with another!
I measure a good day by how little I fell behind.

Quick! Hire a teenager while they still know everything!
Doug W.
Novice

Post by Doug W. »

Email in the android app would be outstanding, As I use IMAP, there would be no need for it to sync with the desktop application. IMAP would take care of that.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Agree, although lots of people still use POP3, therefore we were going to implement both protocols.
Goldwinger56
Novice

Post by Goldwinger56 »

Hi, like many Epim users, I am waiting for the email implementation for the Android app. Is it coming soon ?
Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Will do our best to bring it into the app sooner.
Luke

Email in Android App

Post by Luke »

I would not recommend to implement a full blown messenger services (e.g. eMail) integration with EPIM for Android or EPIM for iOS, but a limited approach:

a/Mobile messenger interface strategy:
It would be good if EPIM would apply a reasonable interface strategy with the various messenger services (e.g. eMail, SMS, WA, FB, Threema, Line, Viper, Telegram, Signal).

b/Open mobile OS technology (rather than proprietary solutions):
As there are many messenger services, it could make sense to only use open (rather than proprietary) interface technologies of the Operating Systems (Windows, Android, iOS) accepting limitations in EPIM functionality on mobile OS (compared to already provided functionality of the EPIM desktop version). Such limitations could be e.g. the omitted use of category management for messages, etc.

c/Advantages
Applying the interface strategy could allow
c1/ to trigger message sending from EPIM for Android or EPIM for iOS from contacts, notes, actions, calendar through a messenger services which is reachable via the mobile OS interface, and
c2/ to transfer messages from a messenger service to EPIM for Android or EPIM for iOS via the OS interface into the modules notes (create a note), calendar (create a calendar entry), actions (create an action), contacts (create a contact).

d/ Limitations
Only EPIM functionality which is compatible with open mobile OS interface technology is supported. Not supported could be category management, EPIM attachments, etc. The limited mobile messenger interface strategy does only allow to trigger activities in EPIM modules (contact creation, action creation, notes creation, calendar entry creation) or trigger sending of messages out of EPIM modules (e.g. from a calendar entry, from a contact entry, from a note or an action, etc.).

e/ Conclusion
Applying a reasonably limited interface strategy for mobile messengers could bring significant better user experience, while not compromising EPIM for Desktop functionalities.
E.g. it means, messages would NOT be downloaded by and even stored in EPIM for Android or EPIM for iOS, but
e1/ entries in EPIM modules could be created triggered through and based on information received by messenger services, and
e2/ message sending could be triggered in EPIM out of the modules calendar, notes, actions, contacts.

I would love to listen to your comments.
Such a mobile implementation could become a unique selling point for EPIM.
What is planned on the EPIM for mobile roadmap?

Best, Luke
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the suggestions, noted. Although I doubt many will find this kind of solution fully acceptable and what's more important - needed.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Thank you for your answer. Interesting. I understand that you have the overview of the customer requests.
Personally in fact the absence of functionality linking EPIM for Android with mobile messengers is what prevents me from using EPIM despite I paid the pro version ... I fear EPIM cannot compete with other mobile solutions like 'Nine Folders' (mobile only) or Pimlical (old-fashioned look).
However, thank you for your information. I do understand now that the topic is not on the EPIM roadmap.