Email in Android App

Discussion of EssentialPIM for Android and synchronization
admin
Site Admin

Re: Email in Android App

Post by admin »

Thanks, let's see if there's reaction to your suggestion from other users.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
henacynflin
Experienced

Post by henacynflin »

There is merit in the proposed strategy. It would bring the functionality of using the contacts in Epim with the message systems on the mobile platform. This would be useful if limited. It would mean that data (potentially important) is still held elsewhere which could become important when back using the PC version. It would also mean the possibility of linking items (contact to message) would not be possible, although to be fair, unfortunately this linking is not available on the mobile platform at all at present
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thank you, noted.
S_Belle
Guru

Post by S_Belle »

My personal 2 cents on android eMail/messaging: It's not worth the time and energy.

On windows eMail EPIM fills a missing hole and offers an experience far different then the available well kept major options.

On android however the device limitations fundamentally force all email clients to be a quiet similar experience. Furthermore the market is extremely saturated and nearly all email fundamentally already does what EPIMs selling point would be [staying synced between devices].

From my POV adding basic eMail to EPIM android would add a whole lot of bloat and could make it feel less attractive. Most people on android already have their go to email clients and are not looking to switch. Android has heavy built in competition as every device tends to ship with pretty decent default eMail client.

Overall I think it would take a lot of development time away from other things that need to be done and offer very little.

To sum up my opinion:
1. eMail clients are not small under takings and require a lot of maintenance. I would hate to see that much time being taken away from the current android features and desktop development.

2. There is no real demand for more email clients on android. At this point you have small groups of people who just want special niche things which are best served by dedicated developers and apps who also desire these things. Like the open message idea posted here. Would it make a good app? Yes! would it make a good feature to EPIM? I don't think so no. Apps are really not supposed to be huge do it all software. EPIM for android as it is would even likely benefit from being broken up into it's own apps and having the pro features in each one be offered cheaper as the android ecosystem encourages people to find unique apps for each task and this is what is in demand. You can look at Microsoft & Softmaker and see this. They don't offer an " all-in-one office bundle app" They offer individual apps because that is what the majority of the people in the android ecosystem want/look for. The heavy all-in-one office bundle on android are losing ground and becoming more obscure every year.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

These are interesting thoughts, thanks very much for sharing!
Goldwinger56
Novice

Post by Goldwinger56 »

Well well, those comments against adding the email function to Epim for Android really sound like lifting a finger to many users, and unfortunately can be interpretated by some users as a disguised attempt by Epim to justify not spending time and money to add that feature.
Anyway, I will not go further and probably will be considering flushing my lifetime licence.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That was the comment from an EPIM user if you didn't notice.
Doug W.
Novice

Post by Doug W. »

I have not looked for this feature in a while. I want one stop shop application. Yes, I have an email client I use (Aqua Mail Pro), because I hate the Samsung one. I would prefer email be part of the EPIM. Adding SMS would be a huge bonus. I get tired of jumping between applications. Another choice would be for EPIM to work on an integration with some email clients like Aqua Mail Pro for one.

I do not want to use Google anything which is a problem with many email applications. They want to help you sync with Gmail, Google Calendar and etc. I want nothing to sync with Google. I want a single application with the features of EPIM plus email and SMS would be a good addition also, but not required.
bobmac1547
Guru

Post by bobmac1547 »

I agree on the Google thing. with the exception of android i do nothing google. Sure wish there were viable alternatives.

That EPIM can be the system account for contacts is terrific and the EPIM app's best feature IMHO. I only wish that the EPIM calendar could be the system calendar because i like to use a third party calendar app that only talks to the native phone calendar app.
I measure a good day by how little I fell behind.

Quick! Hire a teenager while they still know everything!
norsea
Guru

Post by norsea »

norsea wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:10 am I'm wondering what the definition of "some time" is given it has been a year since the original post???

Curiously yours,

Jim, who would really like to see this ASAP....
Three years since my last post on this subject and NOTHING!

Sad, really....

Regards,

Jim
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

Having a severe problem with Samsung mail app I would totally agree to have a mail module in AEPIM as well, using that in WinEPIM and being fond of it there.
So PLEASE ... get going!!!
Everything I mention comes out of my experience. I'm not an expert. Feel free to try anything I suggest ... but always at your own risk.
Goldwinger56
Novice

Post by Goldwinger56 »

Well, the "some time" evasive response is now over 4 years old ... is there a more precise and honest answer available ?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sure, we're now working on integrating EPIM Cloud into the app, the email module is the next big thing to follow.
johncesta
Guru

Post by johncesta »

Personally, I believe there are so many email clients available the lack of another one is moot to me. Could be cool but there are many other improvements to the android app and I think it works fine the way it is.
John Cesta
Knights of Columbus
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I party agree, although we cannot please everybody at a time (I believe we actually can, but it'll take some time), therefore we have to prioritize implementation of the features based mostly on the number of requests.