Suggestion: Option to disable horizontal scroll in trees

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

FireBrand2026
Expert

Suggestion: Option to disable horizontal scroll in trees

Post by FireBrand2026 »

This is a low priory suggestion, but I wanted to get it out there.

I've used a few programs that let you disable horizontal scrolling in tree lists and it's pretty nice as it prevents the tree from being frequently scrolled too far to the right, and when you need the full name of an item you can simply hover over it to see the tooltip.

I don't remember having an issue with EPIM jumping too far to the right very often in the past, but since I started using the RC it's been happening quite a lot, which is why I'm suggesting this. though I don't know if it's just some new habit of mine causing it, or something that changed in EPIM.
scroll bar.png
Well making this screenshot I noticed that there is actually quite a lot of over padding at the end of tree list items once the scroll bar appears.
extra padding.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ecsaltz
Guru

Re: Suggestion: Option to disable horizontal scroll in trees

Post by ecsaltz »

+1

Happens enough to me to be irritating at times for my user experience. Maybe put the horizontal scroll lock in the right click menu when the mouse cursor is positioned over the tree list area.
PC Desktop: Window 10 Pro, three 4K monitor extended display system.
Cell phone: Verizon Wireless Samsung Note 8, Android 8 - linked with Samsung Gear 3 watch and original Pebble watch.

TumbleDoor
Expert

Post by TumbleDoor »

+1

Anytime I see this option in programs I turn it on.

My trees never get more then 4 nodes deep, but my titles get super long. Which means anytime I am kicked to the far right it's a long ways back.

That said, I've never figured out what causes EPIM to suddenly jump to the far right, so I could avoid whatever it was causing it. Whenever it happens, which is quite rare, I always try tinkering around with whatever I was doing before, but I can never get it to happen again well trying.

mihalvld
Novice

Post by mihalvld »

+1
Text wrap should be used instead of horizontal scroll. The maximum number of lines to show must be configurable (1-5).
EPIM Pro Portable 9.0 RC1 / Windows 10

Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Thank you for the suggestions, will see what can be done.
Maxim,
EPIM Team

ecsaltz
Guru

Post by ecsaltz »

mihalvld wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:13 pm
+1
Text wrap should be used instead of horizontal scroll. The maximum number of lines to show must be configurable (1-5).
With text wrap, that might limit how many tree titles are on the screen. I would rather see cutoff tree titles instead. If text wrap can be optionally turned off and on while the horizontal scroll lock is on, then that would be okay with me.
PC Desktop: Window 10 Pro, three 4K monitor extended display system.
Cell phone: Verizon Wireless Samsung Note 8, Android 8 - linked with Samsung Gear 3 watch and original Pebble watch.

mihalvld
Novice

Post by mihalvld »

ecsaltz wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:59 pm
mihalvld wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:13 pm
+1
With text wrap, that might limit how many tree titles are on the screen. I would rather see cutoff tree titles instead. If text wrap can be optionally turned off and on while the horizontal scroll lock is on, then that would be okay with me.
The maximum number of lines to show must be configurable (1-5)
Choose 1.
EPIM Pro Portable 9.0 RC1 / Windows 10