Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Keldi
Expert

Repeat task every xxx days

Post by Keldi »

Windows 7, EPIM Portable Pro 9.0 RC.
Android, EPIM Pro 5.7.3.

I need a task with repeat every 350 days or regenerate 350 days after completion date (either one will do).

It's impossible to set repeat higher than 'every 250 days' for tasks on PC.
And it doesn't allow to type more than 99 in the advanced set up window.
epim_repeattask.png

A task created on Android can have custom recurrence pattern 'every 350 days'.
After Wi-Fi synchronisation from Android to PC, the task became 'repeat every 94 days'.

On Android the app crashes if I type 350 into 'Regenerate new task _ day(s) after completion date'. (And it also crashes if you type 10000000000 into 'repeat every __ days', and the same with big numbers in 'every __ weeks/months/years' settings).

A task created on PC with 'regenerate 350 days after completion date'.
Synchronisation from PC to Android goes on forever. No errors or anything, it just never completes until I stop it manually on PC.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Max
Site Admin

Re: Repeat task every xxx days

Post by Max »

Hello,
just to be sure, "repeat every 350 days" means the task will be repeated after every 350 days (i.e. the task will appear once every year). Is it what you actually want? Looks like an extreme edge case (which we still need to handle gracefully I agree)
Maxim,
EPIM Team

Keldi
Expert

Re: Repeat task every xxx days

Post by Keldi »

Yes, it's once a year task. And as the extract number of days isn't crucial in my case, I could have just set it up to every 11 months and be done with it.
But I started on Android, and it let me set 'every 350 days', and then I started investigating what went wrong after synchronizing with PC...

Anyway, here's my extreme edge case (no need to spend time reading it really, nothing important there, just my ramblings):

On some websites I might log into an account daily for weeks/months, then abandon it for months/years on end, then come back and use it actively again.
But often in their Terms of Use there is something along the lines: After 90/180 days (3/6/9/12 months, 1/2/3/5 years) we will/can/might delete your account (delete the data on your account / expire your bonus points and so on).

So, I already have tasks in EPIM for 'short period' ones.
I tend to login into others at least once within their expire period, but once in a while I get an email with 'we haven't seen you for a year, log into the account to keep it or we will delete it within xx days'.
After receiving one such letter, I thought 'One of these days I'm going to be offline just at the wrong week for this and lose the account' and decided to sort it all out and create EPIM tasks for everything I can think of.

To login once a year. At first glance, it seems that I can create a task 'repeat every year' and be fine. But the devil is in details.
There are still some people out there who write 'after 1 year' meaning that they programmed it to be after 12*30=360 days.
Plus, in case I'll be super busy at the time, I'm giving myself 10 days grace period to do the task.
So, that's where 350 days came from in my user case.
I was even going to go further and create a task with repeat every (5 years * 12 months * 30 days - 10 days) 1790 days (not that I think this task actually be of much use, it's unlikely I won't login even once in all that time or the terms won't change within those 5 years, but still...).
But as I found out I can have task with regenerate after 350 days on PC, or repeat every 350 days on Android, but when it comes to synchronizing the two, the different limits on platforms came into play.