Colored Tags

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: Max, TerryRogers

a8907433
Guru

Colored Tags

Post by a8907433 »

EPIM 9.0RC2

I am experimenting with tags and color. This is what I want to have a long time in EPIM, now there is it..... great!
But the trouble is, I can not do, what I wanted to....

For example, I have a tag #w (German "wichtig" for "important), and a tag #! (another kind of "important", and one tag #s (for "software" - where I have emails with login-data, registration-numbers and so on, sent from the software developer. Now, I want to combine this (I have many more tags then three!!) tags with different colors: #wGREEN, #wRED, #wBLUE.... and so on.

Therefore I tried tp make a tag BLANK (space) in red, green...... -this is not working. A colored BLANK is shown in TAGS, but has no effekt in email. So, I tried OOOgreen. This works. #wOOO(green) looks good. Therefore I tried OOOred- this is forbidden, OOO already exists! I tried with O OO, OO O and so on (to have a string with aprox the same lenght)- but this isn´t working to.

So, can´t you just tell EPIM, to see OOOgreen as an identity, so that I can ad OOOred? To have many short tags (#w....) in differnt colors is not really helpfull......

MetalDrop
Guru

Re: Colored Tags

Post by MetalDrop »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-width_space
2020-05-16_175546.png
2020-05-16_175546.png (1.07 KiB) Viewed 88 times
here's one to get you started if it doesn't get striped and it shouldn't since I tested it in the comment preview "​" Copy the "​" and delete the two "s in wordpad then just copy the zero-width space
Windows 7 64-bit US-ENG & Windows 10 64-bit US-ENG, Intel i7 7700k, 32GB DDR4, Nvidia & AMD Ryzen 2600 16GB DDR4 Nvidia 1080ti
[I'm helpful and often reply to questions, please note however I am just a fellow user and not staff.]

a8907433
Guru

Post by a8907433 »

Thanks MetalDrop, I tried, but I didn´t succeed. How to copy a zero-width space?

I try to explain another time, what I want: I want to have some (4- blue, green, yellow, red) colored Bars, all the same lenght, aprox 1cm. Then I mark an email with [red color bar]#W. Another email with [green color bar]#w. All color bar the same lenght....

If I could reproduce your three W´s in blue, red, green, but in the same width as your "Test_Tag_2" > " w ", that would work too. But it doesn´t work with a " " (empty space).

Keldi
Guru

Post by Keldi »

a8907433, you want the w-tags to be wider than on MetalDrop's screenshot, something like this?

epim_tags-with-ZWSP+NBSP.png
epim_tags-with-ZWSP+NBSP.png (9.65 KiB) Viewed 77 times
I created it by using non-breaking spaces (NBSP) + zero-width spaces (ZWSP).

So the actual tags are something like this (without regular spaces):
NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP w NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP
NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP w NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP ZWSP
NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP w NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP NBSP ZWSP ZWSP

I copied ZWSP from the post above (or it's on the Wikipedia inside the brackets at the begging of the article about ZWSP), and you can always look it up in google. Or here is the file with it:
tags.txt
(311 Bytes) Downloaded 4 times

If you use the usual space (the one that typed by pressing the longest key on the keyboard), EPIM will do something like this, when you try to apply the coloured tags (because the space is a separator between different tags):
epim_tags-with-ZWSP.png
epim_tags-with-ZWSP.png (9.75 KiB) Viewed 77 times

So, only 'special' spaces inside the tag, NBSP to regulate the width of the tag, and ZWSP to make the tags different while they have the same width.

a8907433
Guru

Post by a8907433 »

Keldi,
I did as you wrote in tags.txt (copy the text with square brackets as tags names and then delete the brackets).
This works- IN THE TAGS WINDOW- looks like that in your post. But, it doesn´t work in the email window! In email window there is just "w"- without space or color. Just a "w" without color.

I think, EPIM should just provide some different colored bars, in some, say 3 fixed lenghts. Astonsoft can not expect every user to be a software-developer! So, Astonsoft, please make this (Keldi´s suggestion) work, just with one click to choose!!

I want to clearly explain another time, WHY I want this: I just want to mark emails in differnt colors- in Thunderbird this works with an extension: one click, and the line of the email is colored, red for example. In Outlook, you can make colored marks with one right-click too.

In EPIM, if you use it like Astonsoft meant it, you have (st) and (loooong tag) (st = short tag), so this is looking very confusing if you have many tags. With colored bars you would produce the way you suggested, this would be fine, it would look like in your picture- only it has to work in the email window!

Keldi
Guru

Post by Keldi »

Strange. It worked for me in email window. I wouldn't bother with making coloured bars with the same tag-name myself though, I'd just create tags w1_______, w2_______, w3_______ in different colours, seems easier to sort by or filter in search that way. But to each it's own.

epim_email-colour-tags.png
epim_email-colour-tags.png (5.46 KiB) Viewed 68 times
[offtopic]
@Max or @admin: A small issue with colours: in the tag field font colour depends on the tag's background, but in the table view the tags's text is black on any colour.
[/offtopic]

I love how Thunderbird colours the line in the table of emails depending on a tag too. But it also always bugged me there, that if you tagged an email with several tags, and then need to change some of them, you often have to reassign all the tags, so that the right one was the first and gave the right colour to the email.
In terms of EPIM, I think what it's really missing here, is assigning Categories to emails, the way it's done with Appointments and Tasks. There are may be any number of tags assigned to one letter, but the main colour-indicator would be just one, and in EPIM it's what Categories do.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

@Max or @admin: A small issue with colours: in the tag field font colour depends on the tag's background, but in the table view the tags's text is black on any colour.
Thanks, will adjust this in the upcoming update.
In terms of EPIM, I think what it's really missing here, is assigning Categories to emails, the way it's done with Appointments and Tasks. There are may be any number of tags assigned to one letter, but the main colour-indicator would be just one, and in EPIM it's what Categories do.
Agree, adding categories to mail is in the plans.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!