Styles2.dat why?

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: Max, TerryRogers

tahoma
Experienced

Styles2.dat why?

Post by tahoma »

Hi support,

What triggers the styles2.dat file to be overwritten? It causes problems, and these problems have been around for a while, (not new with version 9, maybe even 8 )

There is no need for me to edit or adjust my styles. Nevertheless they get screwed up by EPIM on a regular basis, say every two weeks. Today again. I always find that for some reason styles2.dat has a new date (saved for some in the past half hour). Why?

There are two things that reveal the problem. First of all the applied style to paragraphs is no longer recognised: That is the style listbox selection is empty. If I then reapply the style from the listbox, it turns out that the style definition is no longer correct. My guess is that EPIM does not forget the style definitions, but connection between the name of the styles and there definitions get mixed up, but this is just a guess...

The solution is simple. I quit the program and overwrite the styles2.dat with an backed up version and when I restart the program everything is ok. In what instances styles2.dat is overwritten?

Then it might be Dropbox, that is synchronising my settings between different PC's. So can you maybe see if there are instances when EPIM overwrites styles2.dat?

Tam

tahoma
Experienced

Re: Styles2.dat why?

Post by tahoma »

The reported problem with your styles2.dat is still there in version 9.1

Is simply happens that the styles2.dat is regenerated (that seems to happen on a regular basis), but so once in a while the predefined styles in my Notes are no longer recognised as a style that I once applied, but reapplying the style means that some other style then the one I created is used.

My Note leafs are oké an remain unaffected, the style definition has changed and if i close the application and overwrite the style2.dat with an version that I especially store for this reason everything is restored: The style is like I once defined it, and older applications of this style in my notes are recognised again.

It happens out of the blue, probably when applying styles, but my styles are to my liking since a long time, and I do not edit or redefine them.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Styles2.dat why?

Post by admin »

Will check the issue and attempt to fix. Thanks.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!