Gigantic size of backup file

Discussion of EssentialPIM for Android and synchronization
poet-man
Guru

Gigantic size of backup file

Post by poet-man »

Hi there,

for some time now, my backup file size is more than 100 MB. No matter what I choose to save (tasks only or passwords only) - it remains that size.
I used to have about 5 MB. When I decided to have notes with pictures in it (made via camera icon there), it suddenly grew by lots. But now it remains that size, as I said, no matter what I choose to save.

So it seems, AEPIM somehow remembers file size und uses such big files, no matter how much data has to be saved.
How can I make backup file size small again?

Thanks.
Everything I mention comes out of my experience. I'm not an expert. Feel free to try anything I suggest ... but always at your own risk.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Gigantic size of backup file

Post by admin »

If you have a spare Android device, try to restore the 100 MB backup file on it and see what kind of data gets into EPIM, especially for the case when you opted to backup only tasks, for instance. Thanks!
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

Will have a try and report.
Thanks.
Everything I mention comes out of my experience. I'm not an expert. Feel free to try anything I suggest ... but always at your own risk.
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

Seems, AEPIM doesnot do, what it is told in backup module. I chose tasks only, when doing a backup.
I transferred the 100 MB file to my smartphone, restored it there, saying yes to the question whether all data should be deleted prior to restoring.
Nevertheless all data was there after restoring, not only tasks, but also calendar, passwords etc. I had done a significant change in one task, before making a backup. This significant task was there after restore. So restore was done, but abviously much more data was restored than should be in backup file.
How is this on your side?
Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It works as it should on our side. Did you purge data from all the modules prior restoring the backup?
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

No, I just used the option to purge all data, which is built in into the restore process.
But will do it once more and previously purge all data.
Did you also try to backup different amounts of data (i.e. all data or passwords only) and what was the result as to file size?
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

As announced, here one more update ...
Seems, that restore file contains the right data, because after purging all data per setup option (no data in AEPIM any more), restore brought back tasks only.
So as far as I can say, that huge backup/restore file (100 MB) had tasks in it only, despite the fact, that file had 100 MB and more. Also would mean, that purging within restore process, doesnot do what it should.
To confirm everything, to be sure again, I could repro the whole story once again ... make a backup with tasks only, purge data on target device, restore backup file there.
Just to ask again ... does it seem possible, that backup file remains in size as huge as last time, no matter, what little amount of data is saved. And what could be done, to get normal size again?
Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

When you choose to delete data when restoring backup, only affected type of data gets deleted. I.e. if your backup file has only tasks in it, then only tasks will be deleted from EPIM, hence the difference in purging all the data prior restoring a backup and during the process.

It's not possible to somehow inherit the file size. Please try to backup data from other modules and check what happens with the size of the backup files then. Thanks!
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

The size remains 108 MB all the time, no matter whether I backup all modules, contacts only or contacts and passwords i.e.
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

Making a backup with app setup options only (no data from modules), it's again 108 MB
Doing one with all modules it's 108, with all modules and encryption, it's 109.

AND

purge all data, so not a single piece of it in AEPIM ... doing a backup, still gives me 108 MB
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Maybe there's something wrong with the file manager that reports file sizes incorrectly? I have no other idea as to why it might be taking 108 MB of space. Not unless you share such a backup file with us, in that case we could check its contents.
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

I will share such a file immediately via PM (link on EPIM-cloud-server).
It's again 108 MB and contains AEPIM app options only and no data (at least that's what I have chosen).
Your are right, that different file managers report different sizes. But in every case it's more than 100 MB
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks, will have a look at it.
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

Any result on this so far?
Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, the size is coming from the pictures included in Notes and Contacts. Will adjust the backup process so that pictures from the modules that are not included in backup will be excluded.