CPU leak?

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Triple S
Expert

CPU leak?

Post by Triple S »

This has been happening for a while now, probably started around version 10.0 but never happened before that.

when closing EPIM sometimes it'll just stay in the task manager and eat up huge amounts of CPU time forever until I notice that my sister is being bogged down and I open up task manager to find 1 or more previously exited copies of EPIM just eating up CPU time.

I've never reported it since I can't reproduce it, happens randomly. But now that it's happened on 2 different computers and both windows 10 and windows 11 I thought it was time to at least bring it up. Maybe a safety system can be put in place where once EPIM is closed if it keeps running it can be automatically killed?

I have a Ryzen 5600x CPU and a single rouge copy of EPIM can eat 10~15% CPU in the background forever. And reopening the same copy of EPIM works fine, but doesn't close the rouge EPIM thread so the only way you notice the issue is poor general system performance.

I've tried syncing the databases, and fresh copies of EPIM and obviously an entirely new computer and OS.
admin
Site Admin

Re: CPU leak?

Post by admin »

Are you using the same DB file on both of the computers you experienced such a problem?
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Triple S
Expert

Post by Triple S »

Nope, it's happened with several different databases.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks, will investigate this.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
rjmcglenn
Novice

Post by rjmcglenn »

I am experiencing this as well. Running Windows 7 SP1 (x64).