Imitating local folders

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Steve Shank
Guru

Imitating local folders

Post by Steve Shank »

I've read others recommending setting up new accounts, but doesn't this work to essentially provide local folders like Thunderbird has.
1. As soon as folders and subfolders are created, you right click on them and turn off synchronization
2. You create all the folders, subfolders etc you want and just put your emails in them manually or with rules. As long as sync is turned off when creating the folders, this should work.

Am I missing something?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Imitating local folders

Post by admin »

Yes, you're perfectly right. Although, you'd need to click on the Manage Folders button on the toolbar in order to turn off sync for a particular folder.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Steve Shank
Guru

Post by Steve Shank »

Just checking to make sure I'm really right.
1. When emails are moved out of the inbox to a non-sync folder (being local), using IMAP, is epim smart enough to delete them from the server, or will the next sync bring them back to the inbox?
2. Should I be downloading the full message instead of just headers, so I don't run the risk of moving only the headers to the new folders?

As I'm working with Epim more (I'm testing now but liking a lot), I'm thinking my whole idea is contrary to the way it works. That it would be easier to setup tags for each of my "local folders" - like m-housebills2022 - then just turn on auto archive after x days and delete message option. Then the archive is local and its handled automatically, and the tag explorer (or search), reproduces the benefits of a folder.

Am I understanding that correctly?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1. This isn't about "smartness" rather about synchronization rules. If a message is moved to a non-sync folder, it's going to stay in the initial folder on the server (since there was no command to delete it). However, next sync will not bring it back into Inbox in WinEPIM as the app knows where there message is stored.
2. It doesn't matter whether you download full message or its header only. In any case any action/rule is applied to the whole message on the server.

I like the new way you mentioned to handle the situation. It should work as expected.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Steve Shank
Guru

Post by Steve Shank »

@admin - This isn't about "smartness" rather about synchronization rules. If a message is moved to a non-sync folder, it's going to stay in the initial folder on the server (since there was no command to delete it). However, next sync will not bring it back into Inbox in WinEPIM as the app knows where there message is stored.

Well, I have to disagree with you. Knowing you already have the message despite the message not being in the inbox, is smart.