EssentialPIM 11.0 Release Candidate

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

admin
Site Admin

Re: EssentialPIM 11.0 Release Candidate

Post by admin »

ЛеонидЛогинов, got it, thanks for the explanation. Will do that.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
ЛеонидЛогинов
Novice

Post by ЛеонидЛогинов »

admin wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:16 pm ЛеонидЛогинов, got it, thanks for the explanation. Will do that.
Wonderful! it's nice to see how you improve your product!

One more suggestion, can you please make the screen of the calendar module refresh at least once every 5 minutes if the module is opened and is in unfocused epim window?

I understand that this was done for optimization purposes, but this is extremely bad for my case (and probably for many other users too).

I always keep epim open on the second monitor in the calendar module and have to change focus to it to update the information in the window (in particular, the bar reflecting the current time). https://imgur.com/a/8bjuzEq

This is very inconvenient, because in theory the calendar module should display information in real time, so that just by looking at it you can estimate how much time you have left before some event.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It should be refreshing automatically even being in the background. Is it just the current time line, which is not updated for you or there's something else?
ЛеонидЛогинов
Novice

Post by ЛеонидЛогинов »

admin wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:57 am It should be refreshing automatically even being in the background. Is it just the current time line, which is not updated for you or there's something else?
I can't really verify if events are being updated because I need to focus the window to change them.
But I think yes, current time line is not being updated when the window is not focused. If you will place cursor over "Day"/"Week"/"Month" buttons when window is not focused https://imgur.com/a/8bjuzEq will happen, but triangle on the left will update only if window is focused.

UPD. it looks like it updates on hovering any element in the calendar view (without focusing window), while it should update by itself...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Unable to reproduce this. Please check if the same behaviour occurs when EPIM is in the background on the same main monitor.
ЛеонидЛогинов
Novice

Post by ЛеонидЛогинов »

admin wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:13 pm Unable to reproduce this. Please check if the same behaviour occurs when EPIM is in the background on the same main monitor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOgiCPjyk2A

AFK ~01:00 -> 8:10
ЛеонидЛогинов
Novice

Post by ЛеонидЛогинов »

just noticed a change in how trees are displayed in modules

in the notes module settings there is an item about returning everything as it was (https://i.imgur.com/ZyBIWW5.png).

Why not in other modules? Am I missing something?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Still unable to reproduce, although will see what can be done here.

About hierarchical lines - this is by design.
ЛеонидЛогинов
Novice

Post by ЛеонидЛогинов »

admin wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:20 am Still unable to reproduce, although will see what can be done here.

About hierarchical lines - this is by design.
strange. I will try to run epim in a virtual machine and try to reproduce the bug. If everything works, I'll reinstall windows.

it's very sad that you made such a design decision. I hope there will be a critical mass of dissatisfied users in the future for you to consider making the hierarchy more visual (as it used to be) as an option. Yes, it looks archaic, but there is simply no better way to visually display the task structure: spaces look less clear, especially when tasks are highlighted in different colors, it's just strange that you came to this.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No problem, we were able to reproduce the bug on our side. So expect a fix in the next update.

As for the lines - is Tasks the only module which you think lacks them?
ЛеонидЛогинов
Novice

Post by ЛеонидЛогинов »

admin wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:28 am No problem, we were able to reproduce the bug on our side. So expect a fix in the next update.

great!

the task module and its derivatives in modules (sidebar, minisidebar today) is the most critical for me, but I think it would be better to implement a global switch in the appearence section how to display tree structures throughout the program if the user prefers lines for a tree structure in one place , wouldn't he want them everywhere?

anyway, I don't insist on it, even the option for tasks (as in the case of notes) will be enough for me.
ecsaltz
Guru

Post by ecsaltz »

ЛеонидЛогинов wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:59 am
admin wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:28 am No problem, we were able to reproduce the bug on our side. So expect a fix in the next update.

great!

the task module and its derivatives in modules (sidebar, minisidebar today) is the most critical for me, but I think it would be better to implement a global switch in the appearence section how to display tree structures throughout the program if the user prefers lines for a tree structure in one place , wouldn't he want them everywhere?

anyway, I don't insist on it, even the option for tasks (as in the case of notes) will be enough for me.
Re: Task tree structure: hierarchical lines.

My opinion: hierarchical lines help me visualize relationships in tree structures. Not that the current task tree structure is unusable without them, it just helps me on a very crowded, hires screen with a lot of tasks to better see what's going with what. Also, having used EPIM for years, I am use to seeing them. As ЛеонидЛогинов has said, they are used in the Notes module's tree structure, so it would make sense to use it in the task module's tree structure as well, for consistency.

Perhaps there should be a "appearance theme" option for EPIM: "classical" vs. "modern". The classical appearance would be for the loyal long term users (like me!) who are use to the original UI, while others might prefer a more modern UI. This would be handy not only for the current tree structure: hierarchical lines, issue, but also for the extreme left hand column module icon vs. icon with text issue. (In that case, I prefer just the icon - but that's just me, I like the extra screen space without text. Of course, that presents a problem because not using text is the "modern" UI and using tree structure: hierarchical lines is the "classical" UI.)
PC Desktop: Window 11 Pro, 34 inch 4K monitor.
Cell phone: Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, Android 12 - linked with Garmin Fenix 6 Pro wrist watch and Fitbit Sense wrist watch.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

All right, we hear you, thanks for your opinions. Will probably introduce a single global switch then.
knegsel
Experienced

Post by knegsel »

I'm starting to get used to the fact that the left panel can no longer be unfolded. Your opinion is that more screen space can be used this way, but my opinion is that there are such large screens these days that this cannot be a reason to make it disappear. And the fact that the calendar at the bottom left has disappeared is no longer disturbing after a few weeks.
For the rest, nice improvements have been made, nice software to work with every day.
kb5cth
Guru

Post by kb5cth »

Admin,

I just noticed that the "Up, Down, In, Out" Arrows are back on the Tasks module. I'm not sure when they reappeared, but Thank You. I just again had an occasion where their use was very necessary. I appreciate that for this product, the user's voices are heard.

Bill L