Favorite contacts

Discussion of EssentialPIM for Android and synchronization
kdgdr
Guru

Favorite contacts

Post by kdgdr »

Hi,

Please consider implementing Favorite Contacts feature in both WEPIM and AEPIM.
Would allow direct syncing over Wifi without having to put your contacts info in the cloud.

Thanks in advance.
Kind regards.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Favorite contacts

Post by admin »

I'm not sure how the first sentence correlates with the second?
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
kdgdr
Guru

Post by kdgdr »

Hi,

I have all my data in WEPIM and sync over Wifi to AEPIM, because I prefer not to have my data in the cloud (Google, ...).
But in order to have the same contacts as Favorite Contacts across all my devices, I am forced to
  • sync my contacts data to Google Contacts
  • set which are my Favorite Contacts in Google Contacts
  • Sync contacts on all devices with Google Contacts
Favorite feature for contacts in WEPIM and AEPIM would allow
  • to sync information about which contacts are Favorite Contacts and which aren't over Wifi instead of the cloud
  • to use EPIM system account in AEPIM (Contacts module) while retaining information about which contacts are Favorite Contacts and which aren't.
Kind regards.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What would be your use case scenario for the favorite contacts from AEPIM in Android?
kdgdr
Guru

Post by kdgdr »

Hi,
Use case is to find favorite contacts faster on mobile phone and especially in Android Auto (car touchscreen) when on the road.
Tried creating a WEPIM contacts group for favorite contacts but this does not translate to "real" Android favorite contacts. In fact I indicated in another post a long time ago that group info (like which contacts belong to a group) is transferred to AEPIM with wi-fi sync but from there it is not translated to real Android groups with "use EPIM account" in AEPIM contact settings.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Don't you set your favourite contacts in the default contacts app and only then they appear in Android Auto?
kdgdr
Guru

Post by kdgdr »

Hi,

Default contact app does not allow contacts from EPIM account to be set as favorite. Phone is Samsung A52s 5G.

All contact information is now managed in EPIM, except for which are favorite. Would be more efficient to manage favorites in EPIM as well. Sync WEPIM to AEPIM and done ...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm not sure how setting up contacts as favourites in EPIM would influence a list of your favorite contacts you see in Android Auto?
kdgdr
Guru

Post by kdgdr »

Hi,

Any contact that I set as Favorite contact in the default contacts app of the phone automatically becomes a Favorite contact in Android Auto. So there's no issue there.

If I create a Contact (that is stored in my Google account or on my phone) in Android 12 they can be set as Favorite contacts. Only AEPIM contacts cannot be set as Favorite contacts.
Maybe there's some issue in AEPIM on Android 12 causing these limitations:

If I set AEPIM contacts module to "use EPIM account" in Android 8.1.0. an EssentialPIM account becomes visible in the default contacts app of the phone. Next, contacts that come from AEPIM can be set as Favorite contacts in the default contacts app of the phone.

If I set AEPIM contacts module to "use EPIM account" in Android 12 an EssentialPIM account does not become visible in the default contacts app of the phone. Next, contacts that come from AEPIM cannot be set as Favorite contacts in the default contacts app of the phone.

My suggestion to create favorite contacts directly in EPIM is related to the limitations above in Android 12. If these limitations can be fixed that's good enough I suppose.

Hope that clarifies.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Maybe you should first make the AEPIM contacts visible in the default contacts app on Android 12?
kdgdr
Guru

Post by kdgdr »

Hi,

On Android 12, I can't choose to set the AEPIM contacts visible or invisble, they are always visible by default as soon as I set EPIM contacts module to use EPIM System account:
If I set AEPIM contacts module to "use EPIM account" in Android 8.1.0. an EssentialPIM account becomes visible in the default contacts app of the phone. Next, contacts that come from AEPIM can be set as Favorite contacts in the default contacts app of the phone.

If I set AEPIM contacts module to "use EPIM account" in Android 12 an EssentialPIM account does not become visible in the default contacts app of the phone. Next, contacts that come from AEPIM cannot be set as Favorite contacts in the default contacts app of the phone.
With pictures:
If I set AEPIM contacts module to "use EPIM account" in Android 12 an EssentialPIM account does not become visible in the default contacts app of the phone.
Only choises I have on Android 12 are these, where I have to use "Aangepaste lijst" because that's when AEPIM contacts become visible. As you can see there is no EPIM account in the list.
Screenshot_20220816-110415_Contacts.jpg
The "Aangepaste lijst" is set like this - everything inactive, in order to see only the EPIM contacts:
Screenshot_20220816-110511_Contacts.jpg
Next, contacts that come from AEPIM cannot be set as Favorite contacts in the default contacts app of the phone.
But these EPIM contacts can't be set to favorite contacts:
Screenshot_20220816-110822_Contacts.jpg
as opposed to if the same contact is visible as a Google contact:
Screenshot_20220816-110843_Contacts.jpg
Hope that clarifies.

I have WEPIM Pro Portable 10.2.1 on Win 10 Pro x64 syncing over Wifi with
  • AEPIM 6.0.2 on Android 8.1.0 (Motorola Moto G5 Plus) for database A
  • AEPIM 6.0.2 on Android 12 - One UI 4.1 (Samsung Galaxy A52s 5G) for database B
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I guess the problem here is not in the Android OS version but rather how the default contacts app allows you to handle contacts from third-party accounts. Will check if something could be done here.
bobmac1547
Guru

Post by bobmac1547 »

Yes, PLEASE try to make FAVORITE contacts work when using EPIM As system account in Android 12.

I have many, many contacts in EPIM desktop. That's fine. But, they're all synched onto the Android and there's way too much to have to go through, even using search. If I could designate them as favorites, then that would make AEPIM much more useful.
I measure a good day by how little I fell behind.

Quick! Hire a teenager while they still know everything!
lorymax
Guru

Post by lorymax »

For me it would be very useful, if possible, to have the possibility to select some favorite contacts to use the exceptions of the Android do not disturb function. (I enable do not disturb but some numbers are not silenced) as normally happens with the google address book.

Thanks
bobmac1547
Guru

Post by bobmac1547 »

At least a few of us would find the favorites contacts useful. Since we're using AEPIM as the system account, this is not possible at this time.

Has there been any progress on this? Perhaps polling your users/members would show that many people would like this "feature."
I measure a good day by how little I fell behind.

Quick! Hire a teenager while they still know everything!