Exchange mail not sending out emails

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

nigermain

Exchange mail not sending out emails

Post by nigermain »

Hi,
I just noticed that with the new version, when I sending email using my office 365 exchange mail, it shows that it sending however it does not deliver the mail. But before the updates, everything was okay.
Could you please give me a hand on that.
Best regards,
Germain.
nigermain

Re: Exchange mail not sending out emails

Post by nigermain »

Hi,

I just updates to 11.0.4, but still, Emails with office 365 Exchange are not delivered.

Best regards,
Germain.
ConLand
Experienced

Post by ConLand »

Hi Germain, I use 365 on two accounts, so I'm a bit concerned.

Do the emails sit in the Outbox, or do they go to Sent?
ConLand
Experienced

Post by ConLand »

Now I have experienced this issue firsthand.

Yesterday I tried to send 3 emails from my 365 account. None of them actually sent.

One vanished completely, was not in Outboox or Sent and was not delivered. One went to the Drafts folder. One ended up sitting in the Outbox. They were all to the same recipient. I tried to resend the Draft and Send/Receive but the two remaining mails stayed in the Outbox and Drafts. I'm sure my 365 account is setup correctly since I can send and receive mail from this account without issue on my Android phone (BlueMail client using 365) and via Outlook on Windows. And there is really nothing to setup as it's all automatic.

This is a very serious issue! How can we use EPIM if mails aren't reliably being delivered? For me this is a business account I got a 365 email for!! Can you please fix ASAP?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What's the mail account type - Exchange? In any case a log file would help. It can be found here: Tools->Options->Synchronization, Browse... and its filename should start with "Mail".
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
ConLand
Experienced

Post by ConLand »

Sure, where should I submit this file?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You can forward it to me via PM here in the forum, or send it to our customer support via email with a reference to this topic.
ConLand
Experienced

Post by ConLand »

So some progress on this. I removed and added the account and the problem persisted. Oddly, removing the sync doesn't remove the email account!

Today I added the account again, and the behavior was different. The send dialog didn't finish and showed an error "Authentication unsuccessful, SmtpClientAuthentication is disabled for the Tenant". The email stays in Outbox instead of moving to drafts at least.

Why would an Exchange account on MS 365 need SMTP? Doesn't EPIM use Exchange natively??

How do I get native Exchange to work on the email section?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You did add an Exchange type of the mail account?
ConLand
Experienced

Post by ConLand »

I added a sync that is "Office 365/Exchange". I don't see any way to add an Exchange account from email.

My understanding is that this is an Exchange account and EPIM handles it natively (I get the pop up from MS to allow it and sign in). All other email clients on both PC and android work out of the box.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please add that mail account from the Mail module by specifically choosing Exchange from the list of available options in the account wizard. To add an account, click on Tools->Account Settings->Add while being in the Mail module.
ConLand
Experienced

Post by ConLand »

I do not get that option. From inside mail, adding an account asks for Name and Email.

Then it auto-detects, and asks for "Incoming Mail Server". The only 2 Server types are IMAP4 and POP3.

It's an Office 365 business account, it is "Exchange Online (Plan 1)". So I am confused as to why EPIM doesn't auto-detect it as Exchange or allow this option in either Sync or Mail-Add.

As I mentioned, the Android email client BlueMail adds it as an Exchange account without any issue.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What's the domain name of the email address you're trying to add? As EPIM checks for MX records for the domain, whether they're pointing to Exchange online and if so, only then offers that option.
ConLand
Experienced

Post by ConLand »

It's my own domain, and of course I updated the MX record with Namescheap. On Office 365 it passed all the verification tests (MX, etc) and I can login to Office 365 with it.

Furthermore, Outlook, BlueMail, emClient, etc. all find this as an exchange account without issue. Could there be an error on the EPIM lookup process?

Best,
/Ryan
ConLand
Experienced

Post by ConLand »

I have been troubleshooting this further. The account is added as Exchange by EPIM. The Incoming mail server is "Exchange (OAuth)" and it has authorized correctly - all incoming mail arrives.

However, the Outgoing Server (SMTP) does not work, although it has the correct settings (smtp.office365.com, port 587, login) and SMTP Oath is visible.

I went onto my 365 account and added to allow "Authenticated SMTP", which was not checked, but sadly this doesn't help. And sent mail now goes straight to drafts.

Can you please check this out? I can't get the previous error as when I send the email it appears to send directly, only to end up in Drafts. The send dialog doesn't give the error, and clicking Send/Receive again is all clear.