Autosave and previous versions in notes.

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Triple S
Expert

Re: Autosave and previous versions in notes.

Post by Triple S »

In theory or at least past discussions a true revisions system is supposed to be coming to EPIM at some point in the future, and the previous versions system is actually something mostly for network users to track changes and revert damage.

At least that's what I've gotten from the past conversations here of writers trying to give feedback on the previous versions system.'

Personally I find that the previous versions system is useless as a writer because it's too fully automated and somehow managed to fail to capture important changes even though it's overly aggressive at times. I've had several times now where I thought the previous version system would come to my rescue, but it failed to deliver and I wound up being saved by my 1 minute auto save backups instead.

For a good revision system that would actually be helpful as a writer I think you really need two things:
#1 Named manual saves, that you can trigger quickly from the toolbar and hotkey.
#2 An automatic system that would save a revisions based on x character typed in the note.

Since for me personally I don't care about revisions for minor changes, but I sure want them if I lay down 100+ words in a session.
poet-man
Guru

Re: Autosave and previous versions in notes.

Post by poet-man »

I always like to read what others need from EPIM. So I do read quite a lot of discussions.
In this case I am not quite sure what authors exactly would like to have.
A shortcut to save a version to only save when the writer wants to? Or what else?
Everything I mention comes out of my experience. I'm not an expert. Feel free to try anything I suggest ... but always at your own risk.