Important differences between EPIM Win (Pro) and EPIM Cloud. How to use them?

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

whitetiger
Experienced

Important differences between EPIM Win (Pro) and EPIM Cloud. How to use them?

Post by whitetiger »

On EPIM I have divided all my many tasks into various lists, preferring these to categories. On EPIM Cloud I find them all listed on a single page and it becomes difficult to find them, also because there are tasks that have the same name.
In contacts, what is in a group on Windows is not in the Cloud.
In Calendar, all local calendars in Windows cannot be found in the Cloud, while those created in the Cloud are found in Windows.

Also in the Cloud there are no tags which on Windows helps to find tasks of the same type.

The other features I haven't tested yet, but the three main ones already make it problematic to use both tools unless you change your approach to data logging.

How do you use them?
======
EPIM Pro Portable Version
[Last Release, always updated 8) ]
Where I'm working
Company
Steve Shank
Guru

Re: Important differences between EPIM Win (Pro) and EPIM Cloud. How to use them?

Post by Steve Shank »

So, as I'm understanding your concerns, you want to treat the cloud version of epim as a full blown desktop application letting you run it in the cloud with full power. I had never imagined such an idea, I wonder if it was ever meant to be run that way. I've always assumed the cloud was for linking your android, mac and windows versions together, but you were expected to run the different versions locally.

Do I misunderstand your concerns or did I not understand the purpose of the epim cloud? - Anyone?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Important differences between EPIM Win (Pro) and EPIM Cloud. How to use them?

Post by admin »

At the moment EPIM Cloud is meant to be exactly for what Steve mentioned. At the same time you already have an ability to access data on the Cloud through your web browser, when needed. Data on the web isn't 100% aligned with either the Desktop or Android versions of EPIM, yet but we're eventually getting there so that you have as identical set of data in the same modules there as on other platforms.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
whitetiger
Experienced

Post by whitetiger »

I started with EPIM Win Pro.
I have never been able to sync it with Android EPIM.
I took EPIM Cloud hoping to be able to sync through this.
However, I realized that only the calendars on the Cloud are synchronized. Now I should create the ones I have on Windows, sync them and then hope to be able to move all the entries in the Windows calendars to the Cloud calendars.
I don't know if the tasks are synchronizing because on Windows they are divided into lists, while in the Cloud they are listed all together. Surely what is transferred from Windows to Cloud does not go back to Android.
======
Where I'm working
Company
Steve Shank
Guru

Post by Steve Shank »

> However, I realized that only the calendars on the Cloud are synchronized

I have no idea what this means. What are calendars on the cloud?

I've always synced from android phone and tablet to windows epim. I sync the contacts in the android epim program to contacts on the windows desktop program, and the same with tasks, and my single calendar. It works pretty well and I can add tasks on my phone and then sync, and those tasks appear on my desktop.

The same could work with their cloud sync.

> On EPIM I have divided all my many tasks into various lists, preferring these to categories.

I have no idea what that means either. Are you saying that you have a task and then a big note with sub-tasks in it? If so, that should work just fine. Have no idea what categories is about.

I suggest starting a single thing, tasks or contacts or a single calendar and have it correct in the windows program. Then sync however you sync. Then sync with your android device and see if it appears. If not, try and do some screen captures or something so we can figure out what you are saying. Perhaps I'm just not following and others can, so it is me. That's always possible. But, simplify. Get it down to a single simple thing, then add complexity slowly to figure out where the issue is.
whitetiger
Experienced

Post by whitetiger »

Steve Shank wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:04 am > However, I realized that only the calendars on the Cloud are synchronized

I have no idea what this means. What are calendars on the cloud?

> On EPIM I have divided all my many tasks into various lists, preferring these to categories.

I have no idea what that means either. Are you saying that you have a task and then a big note with sub-tasks in it? If so, that should work just fine. Have no idea what categories is about.

I've always synced from android phone and tablet to windows epim. I sync the contacts in the android epim program to contacts on the windows desktop program, and the same with tasks, and my single calendar. It works pretty well and I can add tasks on my phone and then sync, and those tasks appear on my desktop.
I don't understand your questions.

In EPIM Win, in the Calendar section I can create other calendars called "Local Calendars".
That way I have a calendar for work, one for subscription service deadlines, a personal calendar, etc.
All I need to do is select one or more calendars on the left to see the related commitments in the central area.
That's exactly what I can do, for example, with Google Calendar.
Well none of these entries are synchronized.
Conversely, I can create as many calendars in the EPIM Cloud and these are synchronized to me, but as "EPIM Cloud".
They are independent calendars, but what I am going to create in a local calendar cannot be synchronized in the cloud.
Now, in Windows, I can now create new to-dos in an EPIM Cloud calendar, but all the previous activities either transfer them one at a time, or they won't be synchronized.

Even when it comes to tasks, I don't understand your questions.
In Windows under the task area there are the tabs of the lists. Just click on the [+] to create a new one.
In EPIM Cloud the lists area is on the left and here too you can create more lists.
In Windows all my tasks are distributed in these lists, but once synchronized I find them only under the EssentialPIM list, all together.
Conversely, the lists created in the Cloud are not reported in Windows and the tasks created in these, then in windows I cannot find them anywhere.

And so far I speak only of the synchronization problems between Cloud and Windows.
With android it's even worse.

If you can do the synchronous, tell me how you do it.
======
Where I'm working
Company
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Local calendars are stored locally, they will not be synchronized. If you wish them to be synchronized, you need to move them (right click->Properties, select an appropriate account from the drop down list) under any of the desired accounts.

Tasks on the web will not be shown in the lists (this feature is coming in the future) yet, although lists will still be totally synchronized as with Windows EPIM as with Android EPIM.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!