Wrong categories after sync with EPIM for Android v6.0.9!

Discussion of EssentialPIM for Android and synchronization
lk
Guru

Wrong categories after sync with EPIM for Android v6.0.9!

Post by lk »

Hi there,

after the update to EPIM for Android from v6.0.7 to v6.0.9 and a sync from my EPIM for Windows (v11.0.4 Pro) via WiFi some calendar entries on both devices showed wrong categories! In fact it was a real mess, as hundreds of calendar entries were affected on my main database on my PC, so I had to restore my backup from the day before, losing some changes. I switched the sync to "one way (EPIM -> Android)" immediately in order not to mess it up again and tried it with a different phone (where I haven't installed this update yet) and a freshly created calendar entry. The result:

With v6.0.7 it worked as it should (otherwise I would have noticed it before). After the update to v6.0.9, however, another freshly created calendar entry showed a wrong category on the Android device. So both Android devices (1x Android 12, 1x Android 9) showed this behaviour after the update.

lk
admin
Site Admin

Re: Wrong categories after sync with EPIM for Android v6.0.9!

Post by admin »

Could you please forward us the log file? Would the same problem happen with the newly created category, for instance? If so, please also mention a list of steps so that we could reproduce the problem on our side. Thanks!
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
pmj
Experienced

Post by pmj »

Peter
lk
Guru

Post by lk »

pmj wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:25 am Sounds similar to this:
https://www.essentialpim.com/forum/view ... hp?t=37480
Indeed, it looks very similar to the problem I described here, and I also noticed that some categories are shown twice in the list.

lk
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please manually adjust (rename) the categories on either of the sides (WinEPIM or Android EPIM), then start synchronization and all should be back to normal afterwards.
lk
Guru

Post by lk »

Now I uninstalled EPIM for Android (thus removing all data including the categories), reinstalled it, deleted the sync in Windows, reinstalled the sync, configured to "One way: Windows -> Android") and resynced. Now some calendar entries show a different category. Tried the same procedure again: Now some calendar entries show a wrong category. So the behaviour is even inconsistent.

Even worse: The category order on my EPIM for Windows is totally garbled (although all calendar entries show the correct categories here).

What a mess!

lk
lk
Guru

Post by lk »

Next test:
  • Corrected the category order in EPIM for Windows manually
  • Uninstalled EPIM for Android
  • Reinstalled EPIM for Android, version 6.0.7 (!)
  • Resynced (one way from Windows to Android)
Now the categories on my Android device are correct again, however, if I look at the category order on Android it's totally different from the one on the Windows installation.

lk
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Did you try to rename the categories? You can rename them, save and then rename back. Renamed categories will change their last modified date and thus should be resynced in correct order.
pmj
Experienced

Post by pmj »

admin wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:05 am Please manually adjust (rename) the categories on either of the sides (WinEPIM or Android EPIM), then start synchronization and all should be back to normal afterwards.
For me - this worked for the first category I changed (at WEPIM). Recent events in that category are now correctly categorized at AEPIM.
But for the second category I changed (for caution, I did them separately) it changed all the older appointments in that category to another category at AEPIM.
I've re-synched several times - no change.
Same results on both AEPIM devices
Peter
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Will the newly created events end up with the correct second category? And could you please attach a list of categories from WinEPIM and from AEPIM so that we could see their present state? Thanks.
pmj
Experienced

Post by pmj »

In the category that was fully corrected after renaming and synching, newly-created events are properly categorized at AEPIM.

In the category that wasn't corrected after renaming and synching, newly-created events are properly categorized at AEPIM. But events created after the problem arose, but before re-naming, are still wrongly categorized.

I'll PM the log in our private conversion, with the category list, etc.
Peter
pmj
Experienced

Post by pmj »

I've just "submitted" 2 PMs. Although they reported as "sent", they're both still in my Outbox, and they're not in my Sent messages.
Is that correct behaviour?
Peter
pmj
Experienced

Post by pmj »

pmj wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:24 pm I've just "submitted" 2 PMs. Although they reported as "sent", they're both still in my Outbox, and they're not in my Sent messages.
Is that correct behaviour?
Here's the answer, from 2018!
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... p=15046451
Messages in the outbox are pms that have been posted but not yet opened, once opened they go to sent messages.
You'd think phpbb would fix the software to show unread / read rather than outbox / sent ...
Peter
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I see you forwarded us a screenshot with the list of categories from WinEPIM. Please do the same for the list of categories you currently have in AEPIM.

As for your question about phpbb - I wouldn't think they see it as a problem that requires fixing.
tom2

Post by tom2 »

here the prob is similar but different:
* ok: events WITH categories will be synched correctly between WEPim and new AEPim installation 6.0.10
* ok: all events with NO category on AEPim will be synched correctly as no category to WEPim
* BUT: all events with NO category on WEPim will become category IMPORTANT at AEPim

That's strange.