Google Task sidebar display

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Lee S
Beta Team

Google Task sidebar display

Post by Lee S »

I was considering syncing EPIM with Google tasks until I noticed a discrepancy in the Google task display. If you display the Google task sidebar in Gmail or calendar you get the Tasks displayed on the sidebar. Additionally, you can display them on the Calendar with your appointments. I noticed that some tasks are displayed on the calendar but DO NOT display on the sidebar until the actual date of the task. I don't know the reason behind this. This makes the sidebar inconvenient for planning. Additionally, I noticed some apps that state to display the Tasks, appear to access the Tasks shown in the sidebar, not the calendar tasks. I was wondering if the sync between EPIM and google worked with the tasks displayed in the calendar or the sidebar. I have not had the opportunity to test this yet. Also, when synchronizing both ways do the repeat, etc. default to the one defined in EPIM or Google as a priority.
Lee S
Beta Team

Re: Google Task sidebar display

Post by Lee S »

A follow up with attached example. You can see the five tasks displayed in the calendar for tomorrow January 30th. In the side bar on the right under the LeeTodo tomorrow you see only four items displayed for tomorrow January 30th. Note at the bottom it states Tue Jan 31 which is the beginning of the next day. The missing task is #Lee Put out garbage Monday. My problem is. Is the list you synchronize with the one in the Google task calendar or the Right sidebar. It makes an enormous difference.
Thank You
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-01-29 083702.jpg
Lee S
Beta Team

Post by Lee S »

As a final follow up, I decided to show the Google sidebar task and the calendar task display on the day of the task. Ie today. Note that the sidebar task display shows all five of the calendar task displays. Not like the one from yesterday where one is missing. My concern is if you are synchronizing with the sidebar task display, I would find some items missing. I would also be unable to plan successfully when I am missing some of my tasks from the calendar task display if I were using the sidebar task display. Perhaps I am overdoing it but to me it is confusing.
I am using the EPIM IOS sync to keep apples to apples and oranges to oranges and it appears to work better for me.
Thank You
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-01-30 061742.jpg
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

EssentialPIM synchronizes with Google Tasks through the official Google Tasks API. How Google then processes the tasks and shows them as on the calendar as on the sidebar - we have no idea.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!