What version of EPIM should be LTS?

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

What version of EPIM should an LTS version be made from?

12.x
No votes
11.x
22%
10.x
No votes
9.x
No votes
8.x
No votes
7.x
No votes
6.x
78%

Total votes: 9

SilverSound
Expert

What version of EPIM should be LTS?

Post by SilverSound »

This post is inspired by this post: viewtopic.php?t=37564
Because I think it's rather pointless to tell the devs "you should make a LTS" and then just hammer the comments with bugs related to bleeding edge. If we're going to say we want an LTS we should say where we want the LTS.

What version of EPIM was the most stable that needs to be updated/maintained along with the bleeding edge version?

Put another way:
If you look at druple for example version 7 became the longest term supported version because it was the most used version, and the dev team acknowledged that and thus keeps it up and running. EPIM doesn't have a bunch of built in metrics like drupal, if we're going to request/demand an LTS we'd need to actually let them know what version should be the LTS.

You can find old versions of EPIM here: https://essentialpim.zendesk.com/hc/en- ... -Downloads

Version history can be found here in case you need a reference for when a specific feature was added:
https://www.essentialpim.com/features/o ... on-history

IMO:
6.x is likely the most stable and most deserving of an LTS remake, though it is also lacking a lot of very popular modern features. However that is the nature of LTS. Generally you are choosing to forgo modern features for classic stability.
FireBrand2026
Guru

Re: What version of EPIM should be LTS?

Post by FireBrand2026 »

Version 6 is the only old version I still use because for big notes it's faster. It's note editor also works better with third party tools. The current note editor broke a lot of support for third party tools when it got the zoom feature because it appears to no longer be a real text area and is instead some kind of proxy that doesn't play nice with tools like TinySpell, PWA anywhere, Antidote, AHK, WordWeb...etc.
a8907433
Guru

Post by a8907433 »

I think, for me there is no choice to vote. I also tend to Version 6, but I would loose and miss all features introduced later. Would there be anyway a way back from V11 to V6 for my database?
I think, V11 is stable and working well, if Astonsoft would take this for a LTS and minimize bugs and announces this version as LTS, I would stay with it, untill the next LTS arises.
Rose Ford
Guru

Post by Rose Ford »

In the sprite of LTS you'd want to support a classic version that has users who are staying with it in order to avoid breaking changes, not bugs.
Which to me V6 is what fits that bill. I'm in a company and we still use V6 for several databases too, because performance drops too far when migrating to anything newer.

Bugs should be fixed, and bugs that are reproducible are usually fixed (unless they are caused by damage to files). Sounds like what you're waiting for is the current bleeding edge version to stabilize. If there's not an old version that works perfectly for you, and you want all the new bleeding edge features, you don't want an LTS you want to spend more time making good bug reports.

Right now V6 is semi-broken because it does not get support and the Email and cloud world has moved on without it, it's also missing security fixes for email as well. So because V6 is abandoned core features are broken, and that's the true sprite of LTS. If you have an LTS you make sure the core systems still work, and mop up import bugs in the features that already exist.

On a side note one thing that could be really handy is a downgrade tool in the same vain as Synchronizer.

Sometimes in bleeding edge you don't realize there is a major breaking issue until weeks or months later and you're already locked into the current version and thus can't get back to a working version because it would sink too much time migrating back, so in that regard it would be quite nice if there was a tool to move between each major version of EPIM.