Android "Advanced Search" - ??

Discussion of EssentialPIM for Android and synchronization
Dierk
Expert

Android "Advanced Search" - ??

Post by Dierk »

EssentialPIM Pro, Version 6.0.12

The Windows version of EPim offers an "Advanced Search" function, with a handy Option of Search By TIME - either Created or Modified

Having had significant problems with the SYNC function, the ability to Search for recently Added or Modified entries would be very useful.

Alas, this function does not appear to exist in the Android version of EPim.

Am I simply MISSING where to look?

If NOT present, are there any plans to add this function to a future version of EPim Android?

Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Re: Android "Advanced Search" - ??

Post by admin »

Please clarify the specific functionality you would like to see in the Advanced Search feature. If you are primarily interested in searching by time, we can consider incorporating that capability into the existing search functionality.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Dierk
Expert

Post by Dierk »

Attaching a screen cap from EPim (Windows) showing the Advanced Search:Time function and results.
Note how the results include entries from Notes, Contacts, and Calendar modules.

Goal would be to have similar Search function in Android version, especially as the NOTE Module still does NOT Sync between Android and Windows - which is why there are so few entries - esp for Notes: have had to start using an alternative.

The Jan 4 2024 Note (top of the list) was created today (1/4/2024) in EPim Windows, but it does NOT Sync to Android. And this is AFTER removing all data from Android EPim and starting over with a "Win Overwrites Android" Sync....
Very disappointing.
EPIM_Search_Time.png
EPIM_Search_Time.png (10.99 KiB) Viewed 1275 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Synchronization of notes has been working since the very beginning of AEPIM. If it doesn't work for you, please create a new sample note, perform synchronization, and forward us the log file once it completes, mentioning the name of the test note. You can find logs by going to Tools->Options, selecting "Logs Folder", and looking for the file that begins with "Android".
Dierk
Expert

Post by Dierk »

Added a Test Note to Win Epim:
Epim_addnote_2024-01-09 155134.png
Epim_addnote_2024-01-09 155134.png (9.73 KiB) Viewed 749 times

Ran SYNC (from Android phone), producing following Error Msg (which ALWAYS appears following a Sync - even when it HAS worked...):
EpimSyncError2024-01-09.png
Results:
1) The new note Is NOT present in the Android database.
2) The note created on Jan 4 (24) - and referenced in my message on that date - has also NOT been carried over to Android.
3) Both of these notes ARE still present in the Win database (pre- and post-sync), so it is not a matter of either somehow being deleted.

4) To the best of my ability to discern, CALENDAR entries ARE correctly synced - including one created today (Jan 9, 2024)

5) For the heck of it, Created a New Note in Android EPIM and re-ran Sync: that Note did NOT carry over to Win Epim (neither did the others mentioned above).
Did double-check Sync Settings, and they are set for 2-Way, for all modules (Tasks, Notes, Contacts, Passwords)

ALSO NOTE: I WIPED my Android database some weeks ago, then did a 1-Way Sync from Win to Android before re-engaging "2-way" Sync.

LOG: See next message
Dierk
Expert

Post by Dierk »

EPIM Log File:

Which portion(s) of the Log File are important? The "AndroidSync-2024...._32.log" file is 20,297 KB long AND the central portions contain significant text data from various Notes, including Data that I am not at liberty to pass along.
Is there a "header" and /or "footer" section that you need to analyze the Sync process?

Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Try clearing the sync data under File -> Database Management and syncing again. Will this help? If not, we'd need the full log file. You can try submitting a truncated version, although it may omit some important data needed to identify the cause of the issue. Thanks.
Dierk
Expert

Post by Dierk »

admin wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:35 pm Try clearing the sync data under File -> Database Management and syncing again. Will this help? If not, we'd need the full log file. You can try submitting a truncated version, although it may omit some important data needed to identify the cause of the issue. Thanks.
Clearing the (Android) sync data solved the immediate problem: both of the 2 "test" notes (1 created on Android, 1 created on Win) ended up getting Sync'd to the other platform.

Even better, the "validation error...." message did NOT make an appearance, AND there do not appear to be any Duplicate entries on either system (something I have had happen in the past & was concerned about).

QUERY: based upon earlier advice, I had wiped the EPim Android database, and then done a 1-way Sync (Win TO Android), before resuming the 2-way sync connection. [My EPim database contained a large number of Duplicate Calendar entries, which I painstakingly removed from the Win copy.]
Alas, I do not know whether that Wipe / 1-way sync process included Clearing Sync Data, but does the step of Clearing Sync do something different (More) than Wiping followed by a 1-way sync?

Thanks for getting back -
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We wouldn't recommend changing the sync direction as it may introduce duplicates. Clearing sync data clears up all the mapping and connections between data on different platforms, which can be considered equivalent to adding a new sync.