Should we delete old stuff?

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Steve Shank
Guru

Should we delete old stuff?

Post by Steve Shank »

I've got a basic policy of keeping things somewhat neat and tidy. So, I imagine I should delete last year's completed tasks and calendar events before I end up saving many years of them. It is July now. I don't need tasks from last year or calendar events from 2021.

1. Is this at all useful?
2. Is it worth 3 minutes of my time?
3. Is there something else that should be done to actually remove and/or reindex the database afterwards?

I am a single person business so only have a few tasks each day or a few appointments each week.
daho2018
Guru

Re: Should we delete old stuff?

Post by daho2018 »

Hi,

the question I have is, what are your expectations after you've deleted? Is it about performance or file size or "only" about clarity.

One possibility would be not to delete the data but to "archive" it in a new database? Advantage: You have cleanly separated the data, EPIM offers the appropriate tool for this and you still have the possibility to access the old data.

Greetings
Steve Shank
Guru

Post by Steve Shank »

Thanks for the archive suggestion. Seems like the best case for me. I started writing desktop program code before DOS (CPM)! At that time, desktop databases could get to be too large and problems could ensue theoretically. So, for example, we were told not to let the inbox in Thunderbird get too large. Also, Thunderbird still has a compress button to remove deleted records and regain the wasted space. Also space is used in backups and if deleted items are merely marked deleted and not really removed from the database (like emptying the trash), then they take up backup space and online backups with slower upload speeds can run into issues.

So, the database is fast. I show completed items below and ignore them. I'm just wondering whether old fashioned housekeeping still makes sense? I assume archiving will in fact remove the records from the database and reduce the full database size thus reducing the size of backups.
daho2018
Guru

Post by daho2018 »

Correct, as long as the old entries are out of the old database, it will automatically become smaller and faster.