6.0.16 - cannot change backup folder

Discussion of EssentialPIM for Android and synchronization
poet-man
Guru

6.0.16 - cannot change backup folder

Post by poet-man »

Hi there,

just tried to change backup folder, as in latest version the standard folder seems to have changed to a new folder somewhere in depth of Android system (which is a rather lengthy folder name).
But, at least on my side, I cannot enter to set up the folder? Can I do anything about it?

Thanks
Everything I mention comes out of my experience. I'm not an expert. Feel free to try anything I suggest ... but always at your own risk.
admin
Site Admin

Re: 6.0.16 - cannot change backup folder

Post by admin »

Unfortunately, this limitation is by design and is in accordance with the restrictions imposed by the new Android OS versions. We understand that it may be disappointing, but we are bound by the constraints set by the operating system. If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know, and we will do our best to assist you.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

Understood!
However, it seems, that program can set a folder (not user) ... in last version it was set to a simple folder like downloads/epimbackup.
Can manufacturer set it to some simple folder again? Now it is set to a folder nobody can remember?
Everything I mention comes out of my experience. I'm not an expert. Feel free to try anything I suggest ... but always at your own risk.
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

@admin
To add something to your answer:
It doesnot seem too polite by program/manufacturer, that in a case where OS brings up limitations, there is no message at all by program, to give user a hint, why a no-reaction is. Program just doesnot do anything and user is left alone with NO information at all.
So it seems to be VERY necessary in cases like this, that program gives information. Just doing nothing isnot a good reaction by program at all. And after all, knowing this, it should be normal, that manufacturer takes care of such a situation
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The app should have automatically switched to the new system. You don't need to remember the folder's name as you can find its path in the app's settings. Thank you.
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

I donot agree, because in some situations it can be necessary to get to that folder and copy the backup file.
So is it, that the folder is set by Android and no chance to use a simpler folder?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The folder being used is within the permissible path limit.
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

Somehow we donot seem to get to the point ...
In my case the folder is ../Android/data/com.astonsoft.android.essentialpim/files/EPIMBackup
who decided to use THIS folder and why has it to be this one
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please see my first post in this discussion, it answers your question.
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

Your post just says that there ARE limitations and not which ones!
Anyway ... please forget about it. Donot want to bind further ressources