Restore from backup

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

mikebravo
Novice

Restore from backup

Post by mikebravo »

I accidently deleted a note and have tried switching to several backup files but the missing note never reappears and I am certain it must have been in some.
What is going on, is Epim deleting it in all .epim files as soon as they are opened?, are there any other means of recovery?
a8907433
Guru

Re: Restore from backup

Post by a8907433 »

Did you look in thrash?
Perhaps you marked it as "private" and EPIM not to show privater items?
Perhaps there is a space on start of the note-name and therefore you can´t find it?

EPIM is not deleting items for itself.
I had to use a backup file once in many years- but all was there as it should.
mikebravo
Novice

Post by mikebravo »

Tash is empty, not marked as private and don't know about "Perhaps there is a space on start of the note-name and therefore you can´t find it?" I could always find it before.
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

It sounds like you donot know, when exactly you deleted the note?
How can you be sure, it must be there in a certain backupfile?
Everything I mention comes out of my experience. I'm not an expert. Feel free to try anything I suggest ... but always at your own risk.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Normally, all deleted items first go to the Trash, unless the explicit shortcut for deletion is used (Shift + Del), which bypasses the Trash module. So, if you notice an item missing, please check the Trash first. If you do not find it there, then look for it in the backup files.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Steve Shank
Guru

Post by Steve Shank »

If it isn't in trash, and isn't in backups, then I'd guess it is in your database, but has some parameter, like a group setting, that is keeping it from the view you are looking through.
mikebravo
Novice

Post by mikebravo »

It was deleted on April 5th and I have tried every backup from 3 drives that I back up to in rotation but I can't find the missing stuff.
I was looking for some stuff in a note and noticed some numbers in a box at the bottom, just above the leaf tab and when i clicked on it what appeared to be just a load of garbage came up so I deleted it but other stuff went with it.
Steve Shank
Guru

Post by Steve Shank »

How far back do your backups go? I make local images every month, differentials every week and cloud with 30 previous versions every day, plus daily data backups with 3 previous versions retained.

In any case, EPim isn't going to mess with changing your backups. This is one of the use cases for backups.