V12 Mail problems

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

kb5cth
Guru

V12 Mail problems

Post by kb5cth »

I've switched back to V11.8.4.

My initial tests of V12 were positive, but over the past couple of weeks I've noticed some troubling behavior in the email module:

1-Hangs: About half the time I switch from the Today view to the Mail module, either the list of emails is blank or the list shows but the window where I read the emails is blank. The only way to get either of these to show is to kill the program (usually through the task manager) and restart. The program does not generate any error log when this happens.

2-Mail focus: In previous versions I choose an email from the list, and and put the mouse pointer over the email body (no click, simply hover) to scroll while I read. When I want to move to the next email, I click on the next in the list. In Version 12, I must intentionally click between the body of the email and the list to perform any action (select or scroll) on either. While this is a very small thing, I find it VERY annoying to have to "choose" which area I wish to Work with.

It appears the switch to a different email rendering engine isn't working perfectly yet. #2 is an annoyance that I could live with, but when combined with the much more serious #1, I simply can't use this version yet.

I truly hope you fix these issues.

Windows 10 Pro, Intel i3-4130 @ 3.4GHz w/8Gb RAM

Bill
admin
Site Admin

Re: V12 Mail problems

Post by admin »

Have you tried the latest build from the following post: viewtopic.php?p=134478#p134478 ?
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
kb5cth
Guru

Post by kb5cth »

Admin,

I just installed it. It says it is version 12.0.1. Going forward, how will I differentiate it from the ACTUAL version 12.0.1? If there is a difference, it ought to be called something different (12.0.1a?).

Bill L
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We don't currently offer a way to differentiate between build numbers directly. However, you can check the app's executable file creation date for that information.
kb5cth
Guru

Post by kb5cth »

Admin,

Running the alternate version you recommended, it just happened again. I've attached a screenshot showing INBOX selected, but no message list or email body showing. Just like before, when the program hangs I can't do anything with it. It doesn't generate any error logs. I must kill the process using the task manager, then restart the program.

If it helps, when this happens the quick reply box appears at the bottom of the screen. I normally have that hidden.

I run win Epim portable on a windows 10 machine.
EPIM Email Hung.jpg
I seems that many other people are having problems with the new mail module. Until these problems get solved, I'm staying on v11. Just as another user asked, is there a way I can "downgrade" my database to run it on v 11, or must I manually copy and paste to bring an older database up to date?

Bill L
a8907433
Guru

Post by a8907433 »

@kb5cth, @admin: Using V12.0.1 I am not affected from this problem, but this is only because I use the clasic view. When going to other views View/Layout - for example vertical view, than this occurs: I have a mail list, but can see no mai body. When going back to classic view, mail body not returns, mail body is empty. I have to restart EPIM in classic view, then all is ok.

I use EPIM portable on Windows 8.1
kb5cth
Guru

Post by kb5cth »

a8907433,

I use classic view too, and the program still hangs up. Even if I wasn't, when the program hangs it won't allow any action...including changing views.

It seems that the mail module on v12 is a problem for many people. Astonsoft needs to either fix these problems or revert back to the old email engine.

Bill L
kb5cth
Guru

Post by kb5cth »

Admin,

I'm evaluating v12.0.2. Your email about it mentioned you'd somehow improved the email module and I'm hoping that will prevent it from hanging up the entire program.
I *have* noticed though that my problem #2 still exists. Can you allow "hover" to control focus rather than having to click back and forth between the email list and the body of an email? Clicking into the list makes the email subject editable and when I'm not careful I find myself deleting only the subject of an email rather than the email itself!

Bill L
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Could you please specify which email view you use?
kb5cth
Guru

Post by kb5cth »

Admin,

Classic view, no groups.
2024-07-03_072205.jpg
By the way, it's only been 20 hours or so, but so far the mail module has NOT hung up on me. You may have fixed the original problem!!

Bill L
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This is odd as mouse wheel scrolling works on our end when hovering over the email body or list view.
kb5cth
Guru

Post by kb5cth »

Admin,

The need to physically click between email body and the mail list started on V12 and has persisted through all updates since. When I've reverted back to V11 (due to the program hanging), the difference is immediate and very noticeable.

I also may have just experienced the issue of < viewtopic.php?t=38801 > where, I have no message bodies at all. Switching to dark mode and back made no difference. Unlike my first issues with this new mail module, this issue isn't hanging the program, it simply refuses to show me email bodies. Closing and reopening the program (using the task manager...see next paragraph) makes no difference.

Further, the options window that I used to switch from light to dark and back will not close. The OK button and the upper-right corner "X" do nothing. With that window open, EPIM will not close. I can still use EPIM, but that window is always open. I had to use the task manager to close the program.

Bill L

P.S. Update: Upon restart, it took the program about 4 to 5 minutes of doing *something*, but now I can see email bodies. Apparently, they aren't missing just painfully slow.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think there might be something wrong with your installation. Try installing the Portable version into a separate folder and see if that makes any difference.
kb5cth
Guru

Post by kb5cth »

Admin,

I am already running EPIM portable. Plus, this has happened on every separate installation of V12 (12, 12.0.1, 12.0.2). It seem very unlikely that 3 separate installations, in 3 separate folders, had issues. It worked perfectly in V11, what changed between the two?

Is this issue somehow driven by a different program? I don't run traditional browsers like edge or chrome. I'm on Win 10 Home, v22H2, OS build 19045.4529. The computer is a Dell running an i3-4130 CPU w/8Gb RAM.

Bill L
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Are we talking about a specific issue or about the number of issues you mentioned in the previous post?