Why you DON'T like EPIM?

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

a8907433
Guru

Re: Why you DON'T like EPIM?

Post by a8907433 »

Just a comment about local folders: I use only POP3. I have two working accounts, and one old, discontinued account, which is almost empty. I disabled the "include this account when receiving email" in account settings. The other two, I use this way: I made a rule, "move all incoming emails from account A to account B", so I get all emails in the same inbox.
So, my suggestion is, even if you are using IMAP, just create a POP3 account- just anyone, it does not have to work- and then disable receiving emails for this account. This way you have a local folder, where you can keep your emails.
Telesto
Experienced

Post by Telesto »

mrkwhlbrk wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:53 pm +1 on the email Local Folders, I want to reduce the data left in the cloud as much as possible, and I have several gigabytes of email going back years that I want to keep in Local Folders.
Also interested.
MartySchrader

Re: Why you DON'T like EPIM? Win10 Programs menu entry

Post by MartySchrader »

I know this has been discussed before, but the search function on this site is brutally crude and won't allow me to search for phrases. Under Pro 9.9 the Windows 10 Programs menu gets an unasked-for and unwanted entry for Essential PIM EVERY TIME I INVOKE THE APPLICATION!! I don't want this to keep happening, but there is no way to shut this crappy behavior off. Why not? Why burden the user with some kaka cluttering up the Programs menu when the user has not asked for such claptrap?

PLEASE FIX THIS. This is annoying behavior that is totally unneeded and a PITA on top of everything else. Let me configure my menus as I desire, not how you think they should look.
Keldi
Guru

Post by Keldi »

It's happening with Portable version too. I haven't enabled the shortcuts options in the settings:

epim_shortcut-settings.png
epim_shortcut-settings.png (6.47 KiB) Viewed 20517 times

But despite that every time I open EPIM, the file EssentialPIM.lnk is recreated in %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs.
As far as I'm concerned portable software shouldn't create shortcuts there at all, let alone on every launch.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the info, will have a look at this.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Turns out this shortcut is required to show notifications (about incoming mails, for instance) in Windows action center.
Keldi
Guru

Post by Keldi »

Thank you for looking into it.
That's some weird Windows thing then. As it happens, I have both the Mail module in EPIM and Action Center in Windows disabled, so I don't really know much about either. Weren't notifications somehow working without a shortcut before the EPIM's June update?

By the way, I now took a look at the EPIM Mail settings, and saw the Open button for "New mail notifications can be adjusted in system settings".
Should this button be available in Portable version? When I click on the button, it opens the Windows Settings and (as I expected it from a portable version) EPIM isn't in the list "Get Notifications from these Apps".
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nope, notifications have always been working that way since introduction of the feature.

The Open button for "New mail notifications can be adjusted in system settings" should be the in the Portable version, as well. For those who add EPIM into the list manually (which is always a possibility).
fnothing
Novice

Post by fnothing »

The synchronization with outlook is not stable at all, and it does not support Exchange proctol
The android version -
- calendar model can not share data with phone calendar module

can we use bluetooth to syn with PC?

the whole UI also has room to improve.

Look forward to the version 10, and if possible, hope to be beta tester. Thanks.
Trinitylab
Guru

Post by Trinitylab »

Yes, sync with Google could be also improved.
EPIM Pro Business Network always newest
Win 8.1 Pro 64x, C2D 2x3GHz, 16 GB RAM or Win 10 Pro, i7, 16 GB RAM.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please be more specific, what's unstable about the Outlook sync? Exchange protocol is fully supported in EPIM 10.0, although you should be able to use it with all types of data expect for email in EPIM 9.10.x, as well.

You need to enable Google sync in AEPIM in order to exchange data in between the calendars.

Synchronization through Bluetooth is possible: https://www.essentialpim.com/help/synch ... _cable.htm
fnothing
Novice

Post by fnothing »

admin wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:59 am Please be more specific, what's unstable about the Outlook sync? Exchange protocol is fully supported in EPIM 10.0, although you should be able to use it with all types of data expect for email in EPIM 9.10.x, as well.

You need to enable Google sync in AEPIM in order to exchange data in between the calendars.

Synchronization through Bluetooth is possible: https://www.essentialpim.com/help/synch ... _cable.htm
we have limited access to Google service in China, and the syn with outlook is slow, if it support exchange, we will have other solutions.
Dierk
Expert

Post by Dierk »

What don't I like about EPIM? The Frequent failure of EPIM Desktop to Sync with the Android Version.
Just got done trying 6 times to make the 2 devices connect - including Manual sync connection AND rebooting Both Devices.

Sometimes a "Rescan" works; or simply Closing / Reopening EPIM on ONE device will trigger a connection; sometimes Closing / Reopening Both is required; sometimes Manual works - but sometimes it does NOT, even though IP Address & Port agree. As a Last Resort will REBOOT first the phone, then the Desktop (which requires closing at least 1/2 dozen other programs - at a minimum!).

Tried ALL of the above today, and still received 2 "No Detected PCs Found" - but then ALL ON ITS OWN the Android installation ran a Sync (whilst navigating to this web site, by the way: perhaps it "Knew"!! :? )

Given that the 2 devices "Normally" (50 - 60% of the time) Connect & Sync Just Fine, the hoops that need to be jumped through on the other attempts remain a constant source of frustration.
(End Rant....)

In spite of the above, EPIM remains one of my "Must Have" applications, and have especially enjoyed watching the advancements made to the Android version.
Still, have used eWallet for over 14 years (Over Fourteen!), across multiple devices AND Multiple Operating Systems, and somehow have never had trouble getting a Sync to run (once set in place....). Although EPIM has only been it use for 5 1/2 years or so, it seems like Sync should be a Reasonably Robust Operation instead of seemingly Hit-And-Miss.
Laurent C.
Guru

Post by Laurent C. »

What don't I like about EPIM (for the moment) ? I use EPIM to sync notes from Outlook to EPIM to AEPIM on Android, and there are data losses because TXT/RTF/HTML conversions between tools and even between EPIM and AEPIM are not fully handled. Waiting long for a fix... Regards.
EPIM Pro + EPIM Android (AEPIM) / W10 Pro 64 bits FR + Office 2019 Pro Plus
Trinitylab
Guru

Post by Trinitylab »

Indeed, sync Desktop > Android could be improved to work seamlessly.

Now, to skip problems, we just use sync EPIM Desktop > Google > Android.

I would love to see it working in a regular way.
EPIM Pro Business Network always newest
Win 8.1 Pro 64x, C2D 2x3GHz, 16 GB RAM or Win 10 Pro, i7, 16 GB RAM.