Why you DON'T like EPIM?

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Laurent C.
Guru

Re: Why you DON'T like EPIM?

Post by Laurent C. »

Yes, I do that syncing to the Cloud too
But I do not want to send some notes with sensitive information in the Cloud like Google
So the trouble remains entirely — Rgds
EPIM Pro + EPIM Android (AEPIM) / W10 Pro 64 bits FR + Office 2019 Pro Plus
fnothing
Novice

Post by fnothing »

admin wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:59 am Please be more specific, what's unstable about the Outlook sync? Exchange protocol is fully supported in EPIM 10.0, although you should be able to use it with all types of data expect for email in EPIM 9.10.x, as well.

You need to enable Google sync in AEPIM in order to exchange data in between the calendars.

Synchronization through Bluetooth is possible: https://www.essentialpim.com/help/synch ... _cable.htm
how to join the version 10.0 beta test? hope to be a tester for users in China.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please send me a PM with you request.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
fnothing
Novice

Post by fnothing »

admin wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:12 am Please send me a PM with you request.
sent, thanks.
Laurent C.
Guru

Post by Laurent C. »

Argenthos
Experienced

Post by Argenthos »

I just use Desktop > to > Android so i can view my database on my cellphone.
If i am not carefull it messes up my formatting and data also disappears.

The android app usage is way diferent from the desktop version, EPIM desktop is user friendly, and nice to manage, like well maintained car. AEPIM dual sync is like that old car who lets you down less than 2 miles away. I just use 1 way sync it because i need to access my data. For notes i use some other app and move the data to epim desktop when i can.
Laurent C.
Guru

Post by Laurent C. »

Argenthos wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:43 pm I just use 1 way sync it because i need to access my data. For notes i use some other app and move the data to epim desktop when i can.
This is my own case now :?
Bigs
Novice

Post by Bigs »

What I don't like is the fact I cannot rely on the software.

For example now every time I turn on my PC it launches and tells me I missed a workout session? What session? It shows 2.45AM.

When the heck did I ever set that up? It's clearly moved from a previous entry. So I click on the reminder to edit (delete) it... and nothing, it just vanishes?

I'm here in that petulant way one does, when saying 'I give up on this software and ain't using it no more!'

Have just spent some time adding my schedule to Thunderbird, which isn't so nicely laid out, doesn't have sound reminders - but it works. So I can just get on with my life instead of fighting with the software that's supposed to be improving it.

You want to improve it? Make it reliable, THEN worry about adding features.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We need more info about the problem. The best way would be if you could make a short video demonstrating it, otherwise your description of the issue isn't clear, unfortunately. Alternatively you could also provide us with a list of steps to reproduce the problem. Thanks.
MartySchrader

Post by MartySchrader »

admin wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:47 pm Turns out this shortcut is required to show notifications (about incoming mails, for instance) in Windows action center.
Something about this doesn't smell right. I've got other applications which provide updates in the notification area of the taskbar but which don't require an entry at the root of the Start Menu | Programs list. What is it about the Action Center (sound like a cheap 80's summer flick) that requires such an entry? Can't you figure out a way around this? It's very annoying.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There's no other way, unfortunately.
Trinitylab
Guru

Post by Trinitylab »

Laurent C. wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:31 pm
Argenthos wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:43 pm I just use 1 way sync it because i need to access my data. For notes i use some other app and move the data to epim desktop when i can.
This is my own case now :?
Same with me.
I use one-way sync by two tools: direct PC to Android, and PC to Google to Android. Otherwise could not get some modules correctly on Android.
For tasks and notes I use different tool on smartphone.
EPIM Pro Business Network always newest
Win 8.1 Pro 64x, C2D 2x3GHz, 16 GB RAM or Win 10 Pro, i7, 16 GB RAM.
Trinitylab
Guru

Post by Trinitylab »

Bigs wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:33 am You want to improve it? Make it reliable, THEN worry about adding features.
Well, I have been telling this for years, but seems devs have different view on that.
And that is particulary to say in regard to reminders. Since 4.x it has had problems, and the dev team does not see that this is (e)PIM software type, meaning reminders, calendar and contacts are the clue of it.
EPIM Pro Business Network always newest
Win 8.1 Pro 64x, C2D 2x3GHz, 16 GB RAM or Win 10 Pro, i7, 16 GB RAM.
Frank-H
Experienced

Post by Frank-H »

re: "You want to improve it? Make it reliable, THEN worry about adding features." and "this is (e)PIM software type, meaning reminders, calendar and contacts..." Yes. I purposely avoid any touching of epim's email aspects - I avoid all the fancy synchronization stuff beyond very basic - I JUST want RELIABLE Contact manager, Calendar, appointments / tasks, maybe notes. I want stability on the key things that "actually" matter, for a Personal Information Manager, such as I had with Sidekick 98, in 1998.

I'd turn a deaf ear to all the bell and whistle feature requests. Some of that "give me, give me, give me" feature request was ventured into for version 10, I'll stay (as a pro purchaser) on version 9.xx until I don't see fundamental function complaints re: version 10. I'd drop providing for iphone if that is problematic, I'd drop providing for the Windows 7 complaints I see here etc, and just make the core program, Windows and Android, bulletproof on all core functions.

People may "arrive" wanting fancy features, but they leave, if core functionality isn't rock solid. If at the expense of less features, so be it. Pick your battles. Nothing matters, beyond, if, core basic functionality isn't made the priority.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We always encourage users to fill in bug reports. If something's not reported, there's no guarantee it will be fixed in the next version update.