Why you DON'T like EPIM?

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

todd
Experienced

Re: Why you DON'T like EPIM?

Post by todd »

I like just about everything about it. I still would like a Save icon in the toolbar, so I don't have to take my hands off the mouse to do Ctl-S, or leave my hands on the mouse to go File / Save which takes a little bit longer than just click and go. I know you answered this before, so I just put it out there since you asked. No pressure.

On the new release, the Insert Date/Time now automatically fills in the last date/time format you asked for, which I like in some cases, but I always used to just use ctl-space to bring up the dialog and select what I want. Now if I want any other format than the last I used, I have to go drop down the menu instead of hitting ctl-space. It might be nice to use ctl-space to show the dialog as always, and maybe alt-space to insert the last used date/time format.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Why would you need to be manually saving the database file all the time? The process is automatic and normally you don't need to touch the Save option at all.
Thanks for the suggestion about the date&time feature, will surely consider it.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Trinitylab
Guru

Post by Trinitylab »

Admin, unfortunately, for the unknown reasons, db does not save auto all the time. Sometimes the input data is lost without manual save.
Years back it worked well indeed.
EPIM Pro Business Network always newest
Win 8.1 Pro 64x, C2D 2x3GHz, 16 GB RAM or Win 10 Pro, i7, 16 GB RAM.
todd
Experienced

Post by todd »

I guess I got used to always saving work whenever I leave a window. After being burned and losing work during power blips, or after hitting the wrong button or key during or after modifying some info etc, I just started making it a point to save my work whenever I leave one window for another. It has saved me more than once.

Looked at another way, if it wasn't necessary to have a manual way of saving, it wouldn't be necessary to have the key shortcuts or the menu options to do so. All I'm looking for is just a different way of doing those same things that would be faster and more convenient to the way I work. It is pretty much a standard in MS office products (word, outlook, etc) and some non-MS products. Just thought it would be an easy add and it would make my life a little easier.

Anyway, like I said, I like just about everything else in Epim so I'm not going to lose sleep over a save button. It is still a key program on my desktop and in heavy use every day.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Trinitylab, could you check if there's any pattern when this happens? Will be able to investigate further then.

todd, we made this option and the shortcut as users were requesting for it (like you described it - due to their habits), although it shouldn't normally be needed. You're right about Word but EPIM data is stored in the database file and it works differently from the regular text files.
In any case, thanks for the suggestion, will consider it when we're re-doing toolbars.
Trinitylab
Guru

Post by Trinitylab »

Admin, would love to reproduce it, but cannot.
EPIM Pro Business Network always newest
Win 8.1 Pro 64x, C2D 2x3GHz, 16 GB RAM or Win 10 Pro, i7, 16 GB RAM.
todd
Experienced

Post by todd »

Thank you both for your input and quick response.
knmckenna

Post by knmckenna »

The Android version completely freezes after every sync, and you have to wait until the unresponsive message arrives, so
you can force quit and use the phone for anything else.
ecsaltz
Guru

Post by ecsaltz »

knmckenna wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:15 pm The Android version completely freezes after every sync, and you have to wait until the unresponsive message arrives, so
you can force quit and use the phone for anything else.
I have used the Android version since at least 2015, on various cell phones and tablets, and never have had the freezing problem you described. You might want to post details of your issue in the "Support" section of this board.
PC Desktop: Window 11 Pro, 34 inch 4K monitor.
Cell phone: Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, Android 12 - linked with Garmin Fenix 6 Pro wrist watch and Fitbit Sense wrist watch.
damonwinner
Experienced

Post by damonwinner »

1. EssentialPIM doesn't have version for MacOS and Linux.
2. Strange synchronization with Google Calendar. I can't find logic how it goes. Sometimes EssentialPIM remove events in Google Calendar, sometimes errors happen and sync stopped. Need to edit or remove event that have trouble in Google Calendar. After that sync works. Claimed help in support, sent logs but they didn't help.
After few deleted events stopped to use it. But Idea is good.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please forward me via PM your support ticket number. Could only find one from you and it was regarding educational discount. We'd like to get more info about the sync problems you mentioned.
Dierk
Expert

Post by Dierk »

Why Don't Like EPIM?
Poor Error Recovery: Was Pasting data (copied from a web site) into a newly created - but already somewhat long - NOTE. Lo-and-Behold, the ENTIRE CONTENTS OF THE NOTE DISAPPEARED. WORSE: No amount of "Ctrl-Z" Undo commands recovered a bit of the previous contents.

This has happened a handful of times - in Windows in this case, but also in Android: There must be some sort of Inadvertent Text Selection that results in Completely Overwriting existing text - that part is (presumably....) User Error (inattentive pasting?...) - but the INABILITY of EPIM to "UNDO" the error is baffling (and Frustrating...).

Rant for the day.....
DG
Beta Team

Post by DG »

Dierk,

Sorry to hear that undo (Ctrl-Z) didn't recover the previous contents. If you are using EPIM 10.0 or later, a history of notes is available when you right-click on the note's title, select properties, and then previous versions. Hopefully this gets your material back.
Dierk
Expert

Post by Dierk »

DG wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:58 pm Dierk,

Sorry to hear that undo (Ctrl-Z) didn't recover the previous contents. If you are using EPIM 10.0 or later, a history of notes is available when you right-click on the note's title, select properties, and then previous versions. Hopefully this gets your material back.
Great catch - am embarrassed that I was unaware of that feature: Thank-you.

Found 4 "Previous Versions": the first was Empty, the next 2 contained progressively more data, and the fourth (Alas!) reverted to a Nearly Empty state - reflecting the results of whatever glitch / user error Erased Existing text instead of pasting in new.

End result is that MOST of the gathered text was recovered, and the "Previous Version" feature seems likely to be useful in the future.

STILL: Given the existence of "Previous Versions" it does seem odd that Ctrl-Z failed to "Undo" anything. It would also seem Helpful if "Undo" at least referenced the Previous Versions option.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We'd need to know how the text disappeared as simply trying to delete it using any known means does make Undo working.. So there should be something else involved..