Why you DON'T like EPIM?

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Dierk
Expert

Re: Why you DON'T like EPIM?

Post by Dierk »

admin wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:08 pm We'd need to know how the text disappeared as simply trying to delete it using any known means does make Undo working.. So there should be something else involved..
Alas, the problem is that I have no idea HOW it happens - if I did, I would stop doing it... :D

One of those rare - but, apparently, Not Impossible - occurrences. My only guess is an error in key combination during the cut & paste operation: Wrong Combo; Random Extra Key hit - the old "Phases Of The Moon" answer (!). Am not able to Deliberately replicate it - but have not been willing to spend any significant amount of time to do, given that this (again) IS a "rare" occurrences.

Somewhat Related Aside: Do recall having frustration with an ANDROID app - with a Notes module - wherein the ENTIRE CONTENTS of a Note were "pre-selected" WHENEVER the Note was opened. Therefore ANY CHANGE to the Note would wipe the entire contents UNLESS you carefully UNselected the contents! I think it eventually got "fixed" - - - either that or I moved to different Notes app!
EoinDubh
Guru

Post by EoinDubh »

I like EssentialPIM on my Samsung S22 phone EXCEPT for the total lack of an email component. Are there ant plans to enable email for android phones?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yep, email module in AEPIM is in the plans. Thanks!
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Trinitylab
Guru

Post by Trinitylab »

This Ctrl+Z thing is consistent with my other observation made for years:
rather poor memory management, since some v. 6+ or 7+.
I use three instances (three DB on daily basis). Those unused freeze quite often, hard kill needed.
When I want to drag&drop cal event I need to click the event, and HOLD it for some second in order to be able to move by dragging.
Otherwise, a regular drag&drop doesn't work. I am moving the mouse around but no event "attached" to a movement.
I believe I reported around 20% of the bugs, quite basic ones.
EPIM Pro Business Network always newest
Win 8.1 Pro 64x, C2D 2x3GHz, 16 GB RAM or Win 10 Pro, i7, 16 GB RAM.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We're unable to reproduce any of the issues reported. Please create a separate topic in the Support forum, will be able to look closer at each of them. Thanks.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
MartySchrader

Post by MartySchrader »

MartySchrader wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:43 pm
admin wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:47 pm Turns out this shortcut is required to show notifications (about incoming mails, for instance) in Windows action center.
Something about this doesn't smell right. I've got other applications which provide updates in the notification area of the taskbar but which don't require an entry at the root of the Start Menu | Programs list. What is it about the Action Center (sound like a cheap 80's summer flick) that requires such an entry? Can't you figure out a way around this? It's very annoying.
After using Windows for 34 years (yes, I built the original Windows into MS-DOS-based applications in 1988) and having used hundreds of applications I have come across exactly two (2) of them which exhibit this behavior: EPIM and Opera. Opera is kind of a flakey browser, so I don't bother using it very much. But EPIM is an essential <cough> tool for my daily operations. This business of pooping the link on to the Programs menu root is simply unacceptable behavior in an application which is otherwise smart and effective. You folks need to figure this one out. This makes you look lazy and stupid.
Trinitylab
Guru

Post by Trinitylab »

admin wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:41 pm We're unable to reproduce any of the issues reported. Please create a separate topic in the Support forum, will be able to look closer at each of them. Thanks.
I know could not.
Last year, I bought next full biz pro license, fortunately for one year only, and on Lenovo Windows notebook it was opening an empty DB (needed to open next instances) for around 30 seconds.
I reported that, support replied it opened an empty DB in a blink of an eye on their PC.

Yes, on my PCs it always did so during EPIM 5.x, then opening an empty DB somehow started taking 5-7 seconds on same PCs, even tweaked a bit (good for audio and 2D graphics design), until it reached this shocking ~30 seconds on the other, fast Lenovo.
Meaning, I lost around 100 bucks for the license we used only to realize it was impossible to use.
That's the story and I really cannot go again through reporting as it would yield no results.

But anyways, I appreciate the effort to fight giants on the market.
Triple S
Expert

Post by Triple S »

Trinitylab wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:54 am
admin wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:41 pm We're unable to reproduce any of the issues reported. Please create a separate topic in the Support forum, will be able to look closer at each of them. Thanks.
I know could not.
Last year, I bought next full biz pro license, fortunately for one year only, and on Lenovo Windows notebook it was opening an empty DB (needed to open next instances) for around 30 seconds.
I reported that, support replied it opened an empty DB in a blink of an eye on their PC.

Yes, on my PCs it always did so during EPIM 5.x, then opening an empty DB somehow started taking 5-7 seconds on same PCs, even tweaked a bit (good for audio and 2D graphics design), until it reached this shocking ~30 seconds on the other, fast Lenovo.
Meaning, I lost around 100 bucks for the license we used only to realize it was impossible to use.
That's the story and I really cannot go again through reporting as it would yield no results.

Hard for me to understand this, but if startup time of EPIM is the issue, did you try disabling updating checks? I have huge databases that open from cold in 8-10seconds, but only when automatic updates are disabled since that can lag startup a lot because my internet connection has high latency and is pretty slow.

The business version or what use to be network version which made more sense naming wise, does also have the limit of your local network and the servers hardware speed too. If you changed out any local networking hardware between when it was faster and slower it's possible you created a bottleneck in your own local network latency somehow, or even if you haven't. eg: Wi-fi hardware degrades the older it gets and can cause lost packets, higher latency...etc which could all add up to a slower network start overtime. Also antivirus and firewall software can cause network issues as well. Even the built in stuff in newer versions of windows, and especially so with third parties and their updates.
Trinitylab
Guru

Post by Trinitylab »

Triple S wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:21 pm
Trinitylab wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:54 am
I know could not.

Hard for me to understand this, but if startup time of EPIM is the issue, did you try disabling updating checks? I have huge databases that open from cold in 8-10seconds, but only when automatic updates are disabled since that can lag startup a lot because my internet connection has high latency and is pretty slow.

The business version or what use to be network version which made more sense naming wise, does also have the limit of your local network and the servers hardware speed too. If you changed out any local networking hardware between when it was faster and slower it's possible you created a bottleneck in your own local network latency somehow, or even if you haven't. eg: Wi-fi hardware degrades the older it gets and can cause lost packets, higher latency...etc which could all add up to a slower network start overtime. Also antivirus and firewall software can cause network issues as well. Even the built in stuff in newer versions of windows, and especially so with third parties and their updates.
Thanks.
1. Speed 500-600 MB. Fast enough. Enabling/ disabling nothing changes, never did.
2. I am talking about opening an empty DB .epim file locally. Just to start another instance from here. Takes 7-10 seconds. And the big change happened after one update, day -1 works fine, maybe less than 1 sec., day 0 after update - bang, long. What is specific here, I have created manually a shortcut to this empty DB, and added all EPIM launcher to Task Bar. I open this empty DB using RMB on the shortcut to launcher.

Anyway, unfortunately, I can see all performance goes down thru years passing.
The devs can only ask for our DB to send it, to be fixed. We can't, it's the law.
Sad, it used to be a wonderful software.
Laurent C.
Guru

Post by Laurent C. »

EPIM devs should build a tool to anonymize customer data in the DB with a viewer that proves the non-reversible transformation to a satisfactory level before sending by email — Regards
EPIM Pro + EPIM Android (AEPIM) / W10 Pro 64 bits FR + Office 2019 Pro Plus
Rose Ford
Guru

Post by Rose Ford »

Laurent C. wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:17 pm EPIM devs should build a tool to anonymize customer data in the DB with a viewer that proves the non-reversible transformation to a satisfactory level before sending by email — Regards
They pretty much already do.

Encrypt your database, open it up in a firebird database viewer.
According to them there are no backups to the encryption, and as .epim files are an open file format that you can use database viewers [firebird 2x] for there's no reason for them to make a separate tool, it would be like saying people who make a .txt file should also make a notepad clone.

Now that said firebird 2x is getting quite old and has been unsupported for a long time now, so it would be easier if they updated to 3x so the databases could be opened by easier to find viewers.

Of course since EPIM is closed sourced, there is no true way to prove that any encryption or anonymization system made by them doesn't have backdoors.

Which means the only way to get something that offers truly "satisfactory" anonymization would be for someone to craft an open source program.

Of course that someone could work for them it would just need to be released on github or the lack with compile instructions so that it could be audited and built from source, then someone from the community would actually need to audit it, or pay a another company/person to do so.
Laurent C.
Guru

Post by Laurent C. »

You're right — anyway something is missing for the end-user debug cause 8)
EPIM Pro + EPIM Android (AEPIM) / W10 Pro 64 bits FR + Office 2019 Pro Plus
rainbow

Post by rainbow »

I can't use it because it won't stop importing multiple copies of old emails from Gmail - even mail that has been deleted. I don't even know where it is putting it but a little popup in the bottom right of my screen tells me what it is bringing in and even turning Google Sync off won't stop it importing hundreds and hundreds of old obsolete mail messages that I have deleted from within EPIM. Having deleted them, I looked in Gmail and couldn't find them so I assume the deletion carried across. So how is it still importing them- and WHY?

This is making a great program totally useless.
S_Belle
Guru

Post by S_Belle »

rainbow wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:26 am I can't use it because it won't stop importing multiple copies of old emails from Gmail - even mail that has been deleted. I don't even know where it is putting it but a little popup in the bottom right of my screen tells me what it is bringing in and even turning Google Sync off won't stop it importing hundreds and hundreds of old obsolete mail messages that I have deleted from within EPIM. Having deleted them, I looked in Gmail and couldn't find them so I assume the deletion carried across. So how is it still importing them- and WHY?

This is making a great program totally useless.
First question that'll be asked:

Is it POP3 or IMAP4?
rainbow

Post by rainbow »

The other thing I don't like about EPIM is that when I delete mail from the Inbox, it is deleted from the Contact record as well, and copies of mails I send to the Contact are not saved on the Contact record. I would really like to be able to keep my Inbox clean but have important mails saved on the Contact tab for future reference. Or, like Everdesk (which doesn't compare in other ways!), save the mail as a file. That is a brilliant idea. Makes keeping records so much easier.